Re: [GPSstash] GSAK

  • Deb Yarbrough
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hi John..
      Which GPS are you using?

      In the File>Export pull down there are ways to export to quite a few different formats.. What I have to do with my Triton is connect via usb, create the file that I want exported (select which caches to export using filters). After I am satisfied with caches being exported, I export using the gpx/loc option.. (for my Meridian, I use the Magellan SD card option).... For my car GPS (Garmin) I export to Mapsource GDB, and can change the icons to match what I want to see.

      Once I have my file saved to my hard drive, I have to open either Vantage Point for Magellan Triton, or MapSource for Garmin, import the points, then export to connected GPS unit.

      Long drawn out process, but it's only way I've found to export data to the "newer" units I have.. Old unit allows me to put points on an SD card and import from it..

      That is probably the main reason I like using my BB for caching.. I do try to keep data files updated for each format... just in case I want to go caching with a group of people and they don't have gps units..

      I'll be happy to help if there is anyway I can..

      Deb
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
        I've used GSAK with old Garmin Vista (1999 edition) via serial cable
        and newer Garmin Vista (2007 edition) via USB. I've not tried a USB to
        serial converter cable as my PC motherboard has a RS-232 serial port.
        However, I bought a USB to parallel converter cable for my printer. I could
        not get that to work - except once by chance - so got rid of the
        printer! Perhaps your USB to serial converter cable is similarly
        "challenged"?

        Not sure why Deb is using export rather than GPS > Send Waypoints, however the latter can be customised to set the waypoint name to whatever you like.

        On the Send Waypoints to GPS screen there is the Waypoint name field which helpfully tells you "You can build the waypoint name using tags (see help)". The "Special Tags" topic in help gives comprehensive details.

        By way of example, my waypoint names are created as:

        %drop2:%smart=4%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1

        %drop2 is cache ID minus the initial 2 characters so GC12345 becomes 12345
        : is just a colon (separator)
        %smart=4 is the cache name condensed to a unique string = 4 characters in my case. For numbered series the number is invariably retained, which makes it useful.
        %typ1 is cache type condensed to single character, ie. T M U V etc
        %con1 is container type condensed to single character ie. M S R L etc
        %dif1 is difficulty level condensed to a single character, ie 1.0 to 5.0 becomes 1 to 9
        %ter1 is terrain level condensed to a single character (as above)

        So it is possible to provide a lot of information about the cache in the waypoint name.

        For waypoint description format I use:

        %hint

        which is the ROT13 decoded clue (well, the first 32 characters, or however long the description field is on your GPSr)

        This is enough to find pretty much any traditional cache paperless and if you run CacheMate on a PDA, more than enough to retrieve the full details for a multi, virtual or unknown cache.