New Game Called Geoto - A Geocaching Story Log

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
      Please review and give me some feed back on my new game called Geoto
      located at geoto.net

      Geoto is a geocaching story log that combines gps and digital
      photograghy to create interactive geostrips.

      Thanks
      Tim French
    • Scout
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
        "Tim" wrote:
        > Please review and give me some feed back on my new game called Geoto
        > located at geoto.net
        >
        > Geoto is a geocaching story log that combines gps and digital
        > photograghy to create interactive geostrips.

        The basic idea is to take a small toy action figure, invent a
        storyline to go with it, then release it in the wild with a log book
        to track its travels. Finders are encouraged to move the action figure
        to a new location, extend the story line using their own imaginations,
        and illustrate their story with uploaded digital photos. Right?

        Very clever. I can imagine a community developing that creates an
        entire history of these geoto characters and their adventures on the
        blue planet. Good luck with getting the word out and getting players
        to participate.

        If the game catches on, you'll probably have to enhance the search
        feature of the site, so readers can quickly find out if any geoto
        characters happen to be passing by their city.

        --
        Scout http://gpsgames.org
      • Tim
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006

          > If the game catches on, you'll probably have to enhance the search
          > feature of the site, so readers can quickly find out if any geoto
          > characters happen to be passing by their city.
          >
          > --
          > Scout http://gpsgames.org

          Thanks Scout,
          I have set up a system to help people find the characters and plan on
          putting it in place when I have more geotoians online.

          Thanks again
          Tim
        • tirolbill
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
            yahoo search will not connect me to geoto.net .claims they cant find it
            How do I connect to it

          • Scout
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
              tirolbill wrote:
              > yahoo search will not connect me to geoto.net .claims they cant find
              > it. How do I connect to it.

              Try going to it directly, not through Yahoo Search. Type "geoto.net"
              into your browser's address bar.

              --
              Scout http://gpsgames.org
            • tirolbill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
                still will not connect send me a hyperlink

              • Scout
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006

                  Try clicking on this: http://geoto.net

                  --
                  Scout http://gpsgames.org
                • sethleary
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
                    Tim,

                    This looks interesting! I think one obvious question is, how do you
                    see this crossing over with Geocaching.com and Travel Bugs? Is it
                    strictly parallel play?

                    Do the Pods stay in the same spot like geocaches? Are they used by
                    multiple players?

                    Maybe I'm not as clear on the concept as I thought. I'm intrigued but
                    I think I need some more information.

                    Seth!
                  • Tim French
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Hi Seth,

                      Thanks for your feedback.

                      Geoto is not part of the travel bugs.

                      Scout from http://gpsgames.org explained it this way:

                      The basic idea is to take a small toy action figure,
                      invent a
                      storyline to go with it, then release it in the wild
                      with a log book to track its travels. Finders are
                      encouraged to move the action figure to a new
                      location, extend the story line using their own
                      imaginations, and illustrate their story with uploaded
                      digital photos.

                      IMPACT: THE FIRST DAY, is the
                      premise for all Geoto life on earth.

                      The main story for all of the geotoian action figures
                      starts with their mother ship entered the blue planets
                      orbit and colliding with a large piece of space debri.
                      The impact is causing the ship to break apart. All
                      crew members and civilian colonies have entered their
                      life pods. The navigational system is malfunctioning
                      and releasing the pods at random. Their
                      whereabouts are unknown.

                      at this point the story is extended by you and other
                      players by hiding and seeking the caches at
                      geoto.net, not geocaching.com

                      Thanks
                      Tim

                      --- sethleary <sleary@...> wrote:

                      > Tim,
                      >
                      > This looks interesting! I think one obvious question
                      > is, how do you
                      > see this crossing over with Geocaching.com and
                      > Travel Bugs? Is it
                      > strictly parallel play?
                      >
                      > Do the Pods stay in the same spot like geocaches?
                      > Are they used by
                      > multiple players?
                      >
                      > Maybe I'm not as clear on the concept as I thought.
                      > I'm intrigued but
                      > I think I need some more information.
                      >
                      > Seth!

                    • Bob
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                        I checked out the site. Are we supposed to be able to search out the
                        action figures at different caches? If so, I couldn't figure out how to
                        search out the locations of the various action figures. Can you help?

                        --- In gpsstash@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <firefighterfrench@y...> wrote:

                        > Please review and give me some feed back on my new game called Geoto
                        > located at geoto.net
                        >
                        > Geoto is a geocaching story log that combines gps and digital
                        > photograghy to create interactive geostrips.
                        >
                        > Thanks
                        > Tim French

                      • Scout
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                          Bob wrote:
                          > Are we supposed to be able to search out the action figures at
                          > different caches? If so, I couldn't figure out how to
                          > search out the locations of the various action figures.
                          > Can you help?

                          Go to http://geoto.net
                          Click on "Read"
                          Click on "Search for pods..."
                          Under the photo for any geotian, click on "Where is..."

                          The resulting page gives the waypoint coordinates at which the action
                          figure can be found.

                          --
                          Scout http://GPSgames.org
                        • Tim French
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 3, 2006
                            --- Bob <bobbattel@...> wrote:

                            > I checked out the site. Are we supposed to be able
                            > to search out the action figures at different
                            caches? If so, I
                            > couldn't figure out how to search out the locations
                            of the various action figures. Can you help?

                            Hi Bob,

                            Thanks for your question. It has help me find flaws in
                            my site.
                            I have updated the search page to reflect your
                            concerns. Please let me know if it helps.
                            http://geoto.net/pods.html

                            P.S. Thanks Scout, for helping Bob

                            Tim French
                            http://geoto.net