  • Stephen G Kowalchuk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      Hey everybody.

      I'm new to the sport and looking forward to getting started. I was
      wondering if their were any members of the list residing in the Rochester
      New York area. I plan on buying my first GPS reciever this Thursday.
      Probably get the basic Garman Etrex. Any comments on this unit?

      Thanks

      Steve
    • Cory Goulding
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003
        I would have to agree that the Garmin Etrex has spent way to much
        time trying to make it small and it doesn't have very good reception
        in tree cover as a result of it's size (no room for antenna). Small
        is not always better. My last GPS was a 315 and it was a great GPS
        with great reception but is very limited in mapping upload
        capability. I would go with one of the Magellan Meridian series as
        they offer you upgradeability and you can download topo or street
        maps and they get awesome reception. I selected the Magellan Meridian
        Platinum and it is a super GPS however the few things it offers over
        the Gold probably aren't that important so I would recomend the
        Magellan Meridian Gold.

        Good luck and welcome.

        Hook

        --- In gpsstash@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen G Kowalchuk" <stekow@F...>