Results: Geodashing Game 16

  • Scout
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2002
      How do you manage to get away for some Geodashing? Here's Markwell's secret:
      "I Don't Care Where You Go, Just Take Them Out of the House!"

      Game 16 of Geodashing was won by Team GPS, led by Lil Devil, Kevin, and
      Michael (with BOB!! finishing in fourth place on his own team!). Second
      place went to Chiri Totsu and third to Rabid Badgers.

      Individual honors went to Dashing Dog Mac, one dashpoint visit ahead of
      Dashing Dog's Mum, who had to let one dashpoint go because "the fence was
      too high and the steers looked a little too frisky for my liking!!!". Jack
      Frickey and Lil Devil tied for third, one point ahead of Chiri Totsu's Dave
      Hinns.

      Game 16 saw hunts in seven countries (US, Canada, UK, Australia, Hungary,
      Belgium, and France), including the game's first ever dashpoint hunt in
      Hungary and the first ever visits to the US states of Alabama and Montana.

      A sampling of spots where Geodashing players found dashpoints:

      in a gated community in Napa, California, lined with canals full of yachts

      in a suburban area southeast of Budapest, Hungary, within sight and sound
      of the airport

      among the eucalyptus and cypress trees, on the border of Mount Tamalpais
      State Park, past Muir Woods and beyond the Panoramic Highway, on the far
      side of the Golden Gate Bridge (remember, getting there is all the fun).

      on the bank of of the drought-depleted Liberty Reservoir north of Baltimore,
      near an old family cemetery ("Harold and Elizabeth Scheid: Unselfish love
      of farm, friends, family, and each other")

      through tidal mud flats and low marshy vegetation to the very edge of the
      water on Australia's Swan Bay Foreshore, a sanctuary for wading birds

      across the highway from the Black River Brewing Company in Cavendish, VT
      (where Richard just had to try the ale; funny how often that happens when
      out Geodashing)

      in a random spot in Nevada's Black Rock Desert, 250 square miles of dry
      lakebed (you know you might be Geodashing when you drive back and forth
      past faint tire tracks heading away from the main road, before you finally
      stop and ask yourself, "Could that be a road?")

      at the very top of New Hampshire's Storrs Hill Ski Area's main ski run,
      at the base of a large star that they light at night up during the winter
      (the Geodashing gods work in mysterious ways)

      at the end of a long, treacherous drive up California's Mt. Hamilton, home
      of the Lick Observatory. (In 1000 square miles of mountains with only one
      road, the Geodashing Llamas placed this dashpoint only 250 meters from the
      road. Another mystery.)

      about 1.5 km offshore in Lake Ontario (so close and yet so far)

      a spot in a North Carolina swamp guarded by a smallish black bear (a dashpoint
      passed up by Kevin, who, "city-boy though I am, I know that swamps of uncertain
      water depth are not healthy.")

      in the middle of a field of grape vines south of Cognac, in Angeac Champagne
      (visited as part of Dave Hinn's Le Grand dash Francais)

      in a Florida swamp, beyond the bumpy paved road, beyond the gravel road,
      past the last house on the two dirt tracks through the 12 foot high brush
      (not really a road, more like a "tunnel into the wilderness"), even beyond
      the very last "For Sale" sign ("if you haven't sold this land by now, you
      never will, I think.")

      beside an airfield in Massachusetts, an airfield not on the maps, home to
      vintage aircraft, including a P-51 Mustang fighter that buzzed the field
      during the dashpoint hunt

      in the middle of a UK Ministry Of Defence Rifle range ("The locals said
      not to worry about the red flags. The MOD rarely fired anything on them.")

      and in Montana, near the biggest pile of tires ever seen, and probably near
      a feedlot, at least according to the nose (ah... the sights and smells of
      Geodashing reports make you feel like you are there).

      Thanks to all the Geodashing players, whose many great reports are quoted
      here, not always with proper attribution. Complete, original reports are
      available on the Web site.

      =========

      About Geodashing: Geodashing is a game in which players use GPS receivers
      on a playing field that covers the entire planet. The waypoints, or dashpoints,
      to be reached are randomly selected. The win goes to who can get to the
      most dashpoints; that is, if you can get to them at all! Each game has a
      new set of dashpoints making each game different and unpredictable. For
      more information and to play, visit http://Geodashing.org .

      ---
      Scout
    • Ed Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
        Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint (http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/ ) is very
        pleased to announce the addition of 925 (yes, 925!) new geocaching maps
        covering the entire continental United States in one degree increments. Each
        of these "tile" maps covers approximately 3,600 square miles--that's big
        enough so that eight pixels on one of these maps represents a distance of
        about a mile.

        You can access these tile maps from any of the US state maps. At least one
        tile map for each state (and more than one in large states with lots of
        geocaches) is outlined with a heavy gray border. Click inside the border to
        go to that tile map.

        Each tile map has direction arrows around its border. Simply click an arrow
        to go to any of the eight adjacent tile maps. Just the thing when you're
        planning your next geocaching road trip!

        Obviously these maps are brand new and, although I've spent a lot of time
        testing them, you may find something that's just not quite right. If you do,
        please drop me a line at edhall@... and I'll do my best to fix it
        quickly.

        From Seattle, Washington to Key West, Florida and from Presque Isle, Maine
        to San Diego, California we've got your maps!

        Seattle WA: http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/seattle.shtml
        Key West FL: http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/key_west.shtml
        Presque Isle ME: http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/presque_isle.shtml
        San Diego CA: http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/san_diego.shtml

        -Buxley
        Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint

        --
        Ed Hall (edhall@...) http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/
        "Not all that glitters is gold. Not all those who wander are lost"
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
          Hi Ed,

          The maps are great. Load really fast too. ;-)

          -Florian
        • Mike Gormley
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
            Ed Hall wrote:

            > Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint (http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/ ) is very
            > pleased to announce the addition of 925 (yes, 925!) new geocaching maps...snip...

            Thanks, Ed. I took a brief look in my area. This should be a great
            improvement.

            --
            Mike Gormley

            "Full Time RV'ers currently located in: Kissimmee, FL"

            Web page linking to Genealogy, RV'ing & Square Dancing:

            http://home.earthlink.net/~deltadd/