National & State Parks OFF LIMITS!

  • B. Hunt
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
      Most of us realize that it is against the law
      to stash a cache in ANY national park.

      Here in New York State, it is also agains
      the law to stash a cache in ANY state park.
      "Prohibited to leave any personal property...."

      It might be advised to check the New Jersey
      laws as they affect Hi Point and Stokes Forest.

      The topic was explicitly discussed as it pertains
      to geocaching at our local Department of
      Environment Control and they issued a department
      policy reenforcing the general state law.

      Note, that Rocky River Cache (a beautiful hike
      and experience, by the way) is, under this
      provision, an illegal stash. In fact, the trail head
      is specifically posted as off-limits ANY trespassing
      from December 1 to March 31. Purpose here is to
      protect the winter habitat of the bald eagle. The state
      purchased the river valley specifically for this purpose.

      I appreciate that this subject is extremely disappointing
      news for all geocaching and would be delighted to be
      corrected. Anyway, all responsible participants would do
      well to check on their local laws and regulations.

      Please tell me I'm wrong!
      ....patrick
    • alexander.johns@wellsfargo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
        This in particular is the reason I'm glad that geocaching hasn't become
        anything like a national phenomenon. There are enough stashes in my area
        (Maryland) and as long as the number of participants is limited, it appears
        we're 'flying under the radar'. If millions of people were doing this, I'm
        sure there would be a lot of trampled over wilderness. As a Boy Scout of
        many years I know how to be kind to nature, so I'm glad the unmwashed
        multitudes are planted in front of the TV instead of caching. :)

        Unless and until the (either state or federal) park service removes all
        caches on park lands, I'm hoping it's a 'live and let live' kind of
        activity. I don't plan on disturbing anything I wouldn't ordinarily disturb
        and I'm assuming other cachers are doing the same.

        If someone is going to maintain that it's a 'criminal' activity, I'm going
        to take the position that I'm already a criminal. I speed. I don't always
        come to a complete stop at stop-signs. I jaywalk. I'll drive after
        consuming one or two glasses of wine with dinner. I've taped programs on
        Television and shown or even given them to my friends without express
        written permission. And... I geocache in national parks. The government has
        criminalized much of what I do almost every day.

        This isn't to say that I think people should encroach on a bald eagle's
        protected habitat, but a geocache 20 feet off a marked trail? I don't
        believe I'm doing any harm, just like me driving 45 in a 40 isn't doing any
        harm.

        That's just my opinion. Of course, I could be wrong.

        Alex Johns

[...]

        The gpsstash page
        http://www.geocaching.com
        The GPS Stash Hunt page.
        http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/gps.html

        GeoCache HQ
        http://www.braveheart.com.au
        GPS Stash Hunt FAQ :
        http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/stashfaq.txt

      • capn
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
          I hope we are all responsible in caching and in Michigan, it seems most of us are. I have never seen any vandalism while out pursuing my hobby. We use State, County and local parks as well as private property (with the owners permission) and are very careful not to treat nature with disrespect.

          And I'm ashamed to admit to criminal activity myself......I once tore the label off a mattress <G>.

          Dave
          capn@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
            Yup, I agree whole-heartedly. Of course speeding, jaywalking and
            geocaching in national parks are just "gateway" crimes. I didn't really
            cross the line and become a hardened criminal until I tore the "Do not
            remove under penalty of law" label off of my mattress!

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • tequilabandits@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
              I believe the sport will just have to get more creative! I really find the
              car-hop geocaches pretty boring...I really enjoy the caches that actually
              involve some effort (physical or mental). And though we all like to find the
              cache and swap out goodies, what about just finding the location, taking and
              posting digital pictures along with your comments about the cache?

              Virtual caches would still allow us to experience the sport, see and enjoy
              places we probably otherwise wouldnt go! We have a new virtual cache that
              just posted here in Louisiana it is on private property, not NPS or
              State....Driskill Mountain, the states highest point at 535 ft. sea level
              (ok, quit laughing!) This is how I think caches in those areas challenged by
              laws and regulations should be handled! Check it out at: <A HREF="www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11235">Louisiana's
              Highest Geocache</A>

              Mike
              aka Tequila Bandits

              capn@... writes:
              > I hope we are all responsible in caching and in Michigan, it seems most of
              > us are. I have never seen any vandalism while out pursuing my hobby. We
              > use State, County and local parks as well as private property (with the
              > owners permission) and are very careful not to treat nature with
              > disrespect.

            • Steve Brown
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
                Here's yet another way to handle an off-limits site. Notice the Certificate of Accomplishment listed under Images requires a password. You must visit the site to aquire the password. This is one of the Harry S. Truman National Historic Sites.

                http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11297

                The Park Ranger I talked to said, "You can't do that". Until he understood what a virtual cache was all about.

                Steve Brown

                capn@... writes:
                > I hope we are all responsible in caching and in Michigan, it seems most of
                > us are. I have never seen any vandalism while out pursuing my hobby. We
                > use State, County and local parks as well as private property (with the
                > owners permission) and are very careful not to treat nature with
                > disrespect.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                The gpsstash page
                http://www.geocaching.com
                The GPS Stash Hunt page.
                http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/gps.html

                GeoCache HQ
                http://www.braveheart.com.au
                GPS Stash Hunt FAQ :
                http://www.triax.com/~yngwie/stashfaq.txt

              • Bob Renner
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2001
                  There are 2 caches in Grand Canyon National Park
                  complete with log books. They were originally placed
                  there by the NPS and are open to all visitors, not
                  just geocachers.

                  GCNP Bright Angel
                  http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1521

                  Mary E. J. Colter built it