M0XER-6 has re-emerged W of WA state

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2014
      Wow. The Timexes of ARHAB balloons. They just keep on flying.
      It will be great to see the history log of that flight since it
      "disappeared" over Mongolia, yea, so long ago.

      See:
      http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=3&call=a%2FM0XER-3%2Ca%2FM0XER-6&timerange=432000&tail=432000

      73 de Mike W5VSI
    • Michael Hojnowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
        Gang,

        We launched a small 150g balloon with a 100g payload this past weekend,
        consisting of a cheap $8 "808" camera and one of Alan Adamson's (W7QO)
        Peach trackers in a plastic bottle. It reached a surprising 13,500m.
        We had filled it with a lot of gas to keep the flight short. It was
        windy that day.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRp4j74tCXI&feature=youtu.be

        Mike / KD2EAT
      • James Ewen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
          It looks like M0XER-6 got frozen out over Alberta/Saskachewan last
          night. The temperature got down to about -52 degrees, and the battery
          was down to 2.6 volts. It went quiet for about 3 hours from 11:08 pm
          until 2:10 am.

          It's getting to be a high traffic area around here! :)

          Way to go Leo! What an achievement to have 3 payloads circling the
          Earth simultaneously!

          --
          James
          VE6SRV
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
            Looks like B63/M0XER-3 is close to crossing the Prime Meridian,
            thus making it the 2nd of Leo's circumnavigators. And -6 is
            headed straight towards Joe's QTH near Madison WI.

            Leo: Perhaps you could shed some of your secrets on building and
            filling those awesome super-pressure balloons? Those and those
            solar power QRPPP smart agile APRS beacons combine to create these
            landmark events in ARHAB.

            73 de Mike W5VSI

            On 8/5/14 10:31, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] wrote:
            > It looks like M0XER-6 got frozen out over Alberta/Saskachewan last
            > night. The temperature got down to about -52 degrees, and the battery
            > was down to 2.6 volts. It went quiet for about 3 hours from 11:08 pm
            > until 2:10 am.
            >
            > It's getting to be a high traffic area around here! :)
            >
            > Way to go Leo! What an achievement to have 3 payloads circling the
            > Earth simultaneously!

          • powellite52
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
              Yes, please expand on your fabrication methods and materials.  How do you create the balloon envelopes, glue?? or heat on seams?, where do you purchase your envelope materials from??  I'm all ears. Thanks.

              Sent from Dan/KL1JP

              On Aug 5, 2014, at 16:31, "Mike Manes mrmanes@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Looks like B63/M0XER-3 is close to crossing the Prime Meridian,
              thus making it the 2nd of Leo's circumnavigators. And -6 is
              headed straight towards Joe's QTH near Madison WI.

              Leo: Perhaps you could shed some of your secrets on building and
              filling those awesome super-pressure balloons? Those and those
              solar power QRPPP smart agile APRS beacons combine to create these
              landmark events in ARHAB.

              73 de Mike W5VSI

              On 8/5/14 10:31, James Ewen ve6srv@... [GPSL] wrote:
              > It looks like M0XER-6 got frozen out over Alberta/Saskachewan last
              > night. The temperature got down to about -52 degrees, and the battery
              > was down to 2.6 volts. It went quiet for about 3 hours from 11:08 pm
              > until 2:10 am.
              >
              > It's getting to be a high traffic area around here! :)
              >
              > Way to go Leo! What an achievement to have 3 payloads circling the
              > Earth simultaneously!

            • James Ewen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2014
                Wow, what a sad statement on the ability of people to look after their equipment, and to keep it in optimal operating condition.

                As M0XER-6 crossed Canada, the raw packet feed was nearly spotless for problems. i-gates fed the packets heard directly from the payload to the APRS-IS stream. Rarely was a direct packet missed, with only an occasional digipeat seen before being gated to the APRS-IS stream.

                Now that the payload has crossed the 49th parallel, and is flying over Wisconsin, we see almost nothing but delayed packets being forwarded to the APRS-IS by poorly maintained i-gates (and possibly KPC-3 KISS based digipeaters). The noise level of the delayed packets overwhelms the good packets to the point where the track is showing what looks like holes in the tracking due to Hessu's algorithm's attempt to sanitize the garbage it is being fed.

                Findu.com doesn't try to correct these errors, and shows multiple backtracks of the path.

                http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=M0XER-6

                We see lots more digipeaters showing in the used path because the delaying i-gates are feeding expired data into the APRS-IS stream long after it was heard on the air.

                Due to delayed packets, we are seeing anomalies being reported, such as flight speeds of 884 km/h. This is simply due to the math calculations between an old long past position being updated with a newer, possibly current position report.

                Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done from the source to correct these delayed reports.

                The only thing one can do is to fly with a no-hop path. This removes the possibility of digipeated packets from the stream. Only packets heard directly by an i-gate will be forwarded to the APRS-IS. This helps remove the possibility of some of the packets being heard by delaying i-gates, as well as the possibility that a KPC-3 KISS based digipeater delaying the packets.

                --
                James
                VE6SRV