Presentations for GPSL 2014

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2014
      I only got a couple of takers on the presentations for this year.  If you would like to present, or if you could be easily conned into presenting, please contact me ASAP...  I probably need about 2-4 more presentations.

      Zack Clobes, W0ZC
      Project: Traveler
      www.projecttraveler.org

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 25, 2014
        I have an first draft put together for a presentations schedule, and I'm still needing 2-3 slots filled.  Here's what I have for now:

        • Education in Balloons - Paul Verhage - 45 minutes
        • A presentation by Kaymont Balloons - 45 minutes
        • Pico Balloons - Bill Brown - 45 minutes
        • Jurassic Pigs Recovery - Keith Kaiser - 30 minutes
        • Vertical Pointing VHF/UHF Antennas - Don Fraser - 45 minutes
        • Reaching out to Clubs and Schools - John Dinneen - 45 minutes
        One topic that was requested but no one is really presenting on so far is Hydrogen usage and safety.  That could be very timely considering Helium will NOT be available this year.

        Zack Clobes, W0ZC
        Project: Traveler
        www.projecttraveler.org

        On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Zack Clobes <zclobes@...> wrote:
        I only got a couple of takers on the presentations for this year.  If you would like to present, or if you could be easily conned into presenting, please contact me ASAP...  I probably need about 2-4 more presentations.

        Zack Clobes, W0ZC
        Project: Traveler
        www.projecttraveler.org

      • Michael
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2014
          If we have a hydrogen presentation, I vote for doing it indoors so we get the best bang for our buck! :)

          Ok, on a more serious note, I would enjoy a safety course on flying hydrogen, do far we have only flown helium and we are down to our last 1 1/4 bottles...  :)

          --Michael

[...]

        • Floyd Rodgers
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2014
            I'm considering a flying APRS digi/Igate project to support a local
            public service event in hilly terrain using a tethered balloon. Only
            looking at about 200 ft above ground. Any suggestions on hardware or
            software to do this?
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2014
              You might look at the Byonics TinyTrak 4, which includes APRS
              digipeating capability. It may work w/o connecting a GPS, but
              you'll have to provide your own 144.39 transmitter and battery
              pack. And you'll also have to set up an Igate on the ground if there's
              not one already within range of your balloon.

              For a balloon, you'll want to size it for a LOT of excess lift
              over the mass of your beacon and 200' tether, since that's what
              will keep the tether taut and as near vertical as possible if
              there's any wind up there. I guess I'd fill it up to 90% of
              burst volume.

              73 de Mike W5VSI