Global Space Balloon Challenge

  • Acton Rand
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2014

      http://www.balloonchallenge.org/

      What  you guys make  of it?

    • Greg Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2014
        The FAQ has some things that I'm not sure everyone would agree with.  Specifically....

        GPS
            •    We recommend using the SPOT GPS as it is very reliable and easy to use.

        Handwarmers
            •    These can be useful (used in moderation) for keeping your internal payload warm- it gets cold at altitude!

        On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Acton Rand <actonrf@...> wrote:

        http://www.balloonchallenge.org/

        What  you guys make  of it?

      • Michael

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2014
              Given moderate internal power dissipation and moderate thermal
              insulation in the enclosure, temperatures rarely drop below
              -10C - which is fine for industrial temp range electronics.
              That's for the common daytime latex burster flight, of course.

              And I think that a thermostatically-controlled foil heater
              can be the lightest-weight option provided it doesn't require
              added battery mass.

              One can evaluate the need for supplemental heat with a cold soak
              to -15C (zero F) in a domestic food freezer.

              73 de Mike W5VSI

              On 2/2/14, 9:09 PM, L. Paul Verhage wrote:

              > I find that hand warmers keep payloads warmer, if you load them an hour
              > or more before launch. Their heat output will drop off during the climb,
              > but its still enough to ease the cooling.
              >
              > Paul
              >

              > On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Greg Clark <greg@...
              > <mailto:greg@...>> wrote:
              >

              > The FAQ has some things that I'm not sure everyone would agree with.
              > Specifically....
              >
              > *GPS*
              > • We recommend using the SPOT GPS as it is very reliable and
              > easy to use.
              >
              > *Handwarmers*
              > • These can be useful (used in moderation) for keeping your
              > internal payload warm- it gets cold at altitude!
              >

              > On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Acton Rand <actonrf@...
              > <mailto:actonrf@...>> wrote:
              >
              > __
              >
              > http://www.balloonchallenge.org/____
              >
              > __ __
              >
              > What you guys make of it?____
              >
              > __ __
              >
              > __ __
              >
              > __ __
              >

              > --
              > Onwards and Upwards,
              > Paul

            • Anthony Stirk
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2014
                I couldn't find the comments about the hand warmers and the SPOT on the FAQ page however my two penneth :

                1/ SPOT. Yes it works. No it doesn't work reliably, if you land upside down its toast and probably won't be able to locate your payload. Noted putting them on a gimbal but in order of least likely to recover your payload it goes :

                a) GSM Tracker. sub 50% recovery in the UK - Fly as a backup only.
                b) SPOT. I don't have data but they are slow to update, don't work above a certain altitude and I'm aware of a number of flights lost with SPOT trackers.
                c) APRS. Slower updates than a dedicated tracker, however do utilise an existing "passive" receiver network. If you land outside of range of an igate you will need to RX manually.
                d) Dedicated radio tracker i.e RTTY. Constant transmission and updates when in range of a tracking station.

                Personally I'd fly APRS and a Dedicated unit if you're going after it.

                All will suffer if your GPS antenna can't get satellites however using antennas like the Sarantel SL1252 Helical does mitgate against this.

                2/ Handwarmers. Waste of weight. Heat doesn't convect in a vacuum anyway so unless they are pushed up against the hardware they are just baggage. A good insulated box should be all you need, the lack of air also causes the opposite problem and we've seen higher power stuff over heating.

                Anthony M0UPU

                On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Greg Clark <greg@...> wrote:

                The FAQ has some things that I'm not sure everyone would agree with.  Specifically....

                GPS
                    •    We recommend using the SPOT GPS as it is very reliable and easy to use.

                Handwarmers
                    •    These can be useful (used in moderation) for keeping your internal payload warm- it gets cold at altitude!

                On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Acton Rand <actonrf@...> wrote:

                http://www.balloonchallenge.org/

                What  you guys make  of it?

              • HarryM
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2014

                  The Global Space Balloon Challenge is an international education outreach project to encourage people from around the world to build and launch their own high altitude balloons.

                  April 18 - 21, 2014