UCB Worker Student Meeting To Fight Against The Cuts & Fee Increases

  • david_quinley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 12:55 PM
      The Cuts & Fee Increases

      http://toodumbtolivearchive.blogspot.com/2009/07/student-worker-activist-newsletter.html

      START DATE: Wednesday August 05
      TIME: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
      Location Details:
      Room 250
      Dwinelle Hall
      University of California, Berkeley
      Event Type: Meeting
      A new coalition of rank-and-file workers (including service workers, librarians, GSIs, technical workers, and clerical workers) and students is calling a meeting this Wednesday August 5th to discuss and organize against the proposed cuts to classes, possible lay offs, tuition hikes, furloughs, etc.
      Wednesday's meeting will provide a critical space to orchestrate the united resistance of workers and students.

      We would also like to extend an invitation to other sectors of workers who are also facing cuts to attend, inform us about their struggles, and help coordinate unity of struggle of workers across the Bay. We are especially interested in ongoing struggles in other sectors of public education: teachers, workers, and students from K-12, community colleges, and CSUs. Community members are also enthusiastically encouraged to attend.

      We recognize that neither cuts nor tuition hikes have ever saved jobs or quality of education. In fact, the recent history of tuition hikes clearly shows us that each time we accept a new fee increase it paves the way for more in the future. The Regents have consistently raised student tuition year after year in the absence of united student opposition. It will be no different with the attacks on workers.

      We are publishing a newsletter written by workers and students that documents our fight, presents our demands, and will serve to organize and strengthen our struggle. It is attached. Please forward, print and distribute it widely.

      One Struggle! One Fight! Students and Workers Unite!

      Student Worker Action Team (SWAT)

      swat_20newsletter_20july_2009_1_.pdf
      download PDF (126.9 KB)