Re: [govtrack] Re: New source for parsing House committee hearings?

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2011
      I don't remember an RSS feed on the last session's floor
      schedule...are you sure?

      I know of the House Clerk's awful (but scrapeable) floor schedule:
      http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

      Or do you mean the old majority leader's page? The new one is
      certainly lacking an RSS feed...
      http://majorityleader.gov/Floor/

      ...but I wouldn't want data from an office elected by a political
      party - I would want it to be a stable institutional feed. I don't see
      anything on the current house.gov that has such a feed.

      -- Eric

      On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Derek Willis <dwillis@...> wrote:
      > It's nice to see, certainly, but the idea that the House's new media
      > team would think to use HTML5 and not to offer feeds for committee and
      > floor schedules is ridiculous. The new majority actually took a step
      > backwards by not implementing an RSS floor schedule feed as the
      > previous majority did.
      >
      > Derek

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2011
        Right, but if it's run by a position which is by nature transitory, it will inevitably change more frequently, and parsers built against it will break. It's not about partisanship, but stability.

        If you want to argue that the majority leader should institutionalize the structure of the floor schedule feed, then the leader should push the Clerk to set the precedent for the Clerk's office. Appointee or not, it's a level of distance that is valuable, and useful for affecting the House in the long term. Things started by a particular majority that start out on clerk.house.gov or house.gov (like HouseLive, or the disbursement reports) are more likely to stick around and become part of what the House does going forward. I don't have any such expectation for majorityleader.gov or democraticwhip.gov.

        You're right, though - the new house.gov should absolutely have RSS feeds on it, and it's surprising(ly bad) that it doesn't, given that the team who did it (which, from the CSS, looks to be NavigationArts (navigationarts.com) clearly understands web standards. I'll definitely be vocal about this deficiency.

        -- Eric

        On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Derek Willis <dwillis@...> wrote:

        Yeah, I meant Hoyer's office when he was majority leader. I don't have a reservation about such feeds because the majority leader sets the official schedule for the house. In addition, the clerk's office is led by an appointee of the speaker, a partisan office. Same with the Senate.

        On Apr 23, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:

        I don't remember an RSS feed on the last session's floor
        schedule...are you sure?

        I know of the House Clerk's awful (but scrapeable) floor schedule:
        http://clerk.house.gov/floorsummary/floor.aspx

        Or do you mean the old majority leader's page? The new one is
        certainly lacking an RSS feed...
        http://majorityleader.gov/Floor/

        ...but I wouldn't want data from an office elected by a political
        party - I would want it to be a stable institutional feed. I don't see
        anything on the current house.gov that has such a feed.

        -- Eric

        On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Derek Willis <dwillis@...> wrote:
        > It's nice to see, certainly, but the idea that the House's new media
        > team would think to use HTML5 and not to offer feeds for committee and
        > floor schedules is ridiculous. The new majority actually took a step
        > backwards by not implementing an RSS floor schedule feed as the
        > previous majority did.
        >
        > Derek

      • Derek Willis
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2011