Re: [govtrack] Rsync issue with Godaddy

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2011
      Sorry I don't have any workarounds.

      I'm open to distributing the files in another way, but rsync is the only
      method I've come across that seems to do basically what I want.

      - Josh Tauberer
      - CivicImpulse

      http://razor.occams.info
      http://www.civicimpulse.com

      On 04/08/2011 08:55 PM, andy51488 wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I just had to switch over to Godaddy hosting for my site, and it looks like they block rsync. Any ideas for work-arounds?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Ted Han
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2011
        Hey Josh,

        Out of curiosity couldn't you set the files up as a tree of git repositories, such that each higher node contains a collection of submodules?

        That'd get you diff-based updates, the granularity you'd want if people want to grab just a portion of the branches, and additions to the files would be both tracked and diff based.

        Most of the data that you're adding even if it's lightly structured is organized in a more or less hierarchical fashion.

        Cheers,

        -Ted

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 24, 2011
          Well it's an interesting idea, but I don't know if it would solve the
          original problem. If you can't do rsync, you probably can't do git either.

          - Josh Tauberer
          - CivicImpulse

          http://razor.occams.info
          http://www.civicimpulse.com

          On 04/16/2011 04:21 PM, Ted Han wrote:

          > Hey Josh,
          >
          > Out of curiosity couldn't you set the files up as a tree of git
          > repositories, such that each higher node contains a collection of
          > submodules?
          >
          > That'd get you diff-based updates, the granularity you'd want if people
          > want to grab just a portion of the branches, and additions to the files
          > would be both tracked and diff based.
          >
          > Most of the data that you're adding even if it's lightly structured is
          > organized in a more or less hierarchical fashion.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > -Ted
          >
          > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...
          > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
          >
          > Sorry I don't have any workarounds.
          >
          > I'm open to distributing the files in another way, but rsync is the
          > only
          > method I've come across that seems to do basically what I want.
          >
          > - Josh Tauberer
          > - CivicImpulse
          >
          > http://razor.occams.info
          > http://www.civicimpulse.com

          > Tortoise (in "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter)
          >

          > On 04/08/2011 08:55 PM, andy51488 wrote:
          > > Hey guys,
          > >
          > > I just had to switch over to Godaddy hosting for my site, and it
          > looks like they block rsync. Any ideas for work-arounds?
          > >
          > > Thanks.

        • Dale E. Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2011
            iirc GoDaddy has Linux shell accounts where you can install rsync, git, or whatever. You might contact their support and (with a little encouragement from you) find a solution.