Rsync issue with Godaddy

  • andy51488
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8 5:55 PM
      Hey guys,

      I just had to switch over to Godaddy hosting for my site, and it looks like they block rsync. Any ideas for work-arounds?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16 10:21 AM
        Sorry I don't have any workarounds.

        I'm open to distributing the files in another way, but rsync is the only
        method I've come across that seems to do basically what I want.

        - Josh Tauberer
        - CivicImpulse

        http://razor.occams.info
        http://www.civicimpulse.com

        On 04/08/2011 08:55 PM, andy51488 wrote:
        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I just had to switch over to Godaddy hosting for my site, and it looks like they block rsync. Any ideas for work-arounds?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Ted Han
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16 1:21 PM
          Hey Josh,

          Out of curiosity couldn't you set the files up as a tree of git repositories, such that each higher node contains a collection of submodules?

          That'd get you diff-based updates, the granularity you'd want if people want to grab just a portion of the branches, and additions to the files would be both tracked and diff based.

          Most of the data that you're adding even if it's lightly structured is organized in a more or less hierarchical fashion.

          Cheers,

          -Ted

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24 9:59 AM
            Well it's an interesting idea, but I don't know if it would solve the
            original problem. If you can't do rsync, you probably can't do git either.

            - Josh Tauberer
            - CivicImpulse

            http://razor.occams.info
            http://www.civicimpulse.com

            On 04/16/2011 04:21 PM, Ted Han wrote:

            > Hey Josh,
            >
            > Out of curiosity couldn't you set the files up as a tree of git
            > repositories, such that each higher node contains a collection of
            > submodules?
            >
            > That'd get you diff-based updates, the granularity you'd want if people
            > want to grab just a portion of the branches, and additions to the files
            > would be both tracked and diff based.
            >
            > Most of the data that you're adding even if it's lightly structured is
            > organized in a more or less hierarchical fashion.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > -Ted
            >
            > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...
            > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
            >
            > Sorry I don't have any workarounds.
            >
            > I'm open to distributing the files in another way, but rsync is the
            > only
            > method I've come across that seems to do basically what I want.
            >
            > - Josh Tauberer
            > - CivicImpulse
            >
            > http://razor.occams.info
            > http://www.civicimpulse.com

            > Tortoise (in "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter)
            >

            > On 04/08/2011 08:55 PM, andy51488 wrote:
            > > Hey guys,
            > >
            > > I just had to switch over to Godaddy hosting for my site, and it
            > looks like they block rsync. Any ideas for work-arounds?
            > >
            > > Thanks.

          • Dale E. Moore
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 24 10:01 PM
              iirc GoDaddy has Linux shell accounts where you can install rsync, git, or whatever. You might contact their support and (with a little encouragement from you) find a solution.