Committee-related data changes

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
      I've just made some data format changes. It's effective immediately
      because I had broken the data anyway.

      us/[session]/people.xml
      -----------------------
      Removed: committee-assignment elements giving the current committee
      assignments of members. You can find this in
      us/[session]/committees.xml instead.

      us/[session]/committeeschedule.xml
      ----------------------------------
      New: Attribute committee-id giving the ID of the committee named, e.g.
      "SSEG", which ties to us/committees.xml and
      us/[session]/committees.xml.

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
        Sweet, thanks for letting us know about this. An issue to report though: /data/us/112/committees.xml is missing Senators and Representatives new to the 112th.

        It has a few new Senators (Kirk, Manchin, Coons), but only ones that were sworn in during the 111th session as a result of winning a special election.

        Same for the House - for example, Rep. Hurt from VA-5 is absent from the listings.

        -- Eric

           govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
           govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
          > Sweet, thanks for letting us know about this. An issue to report though:
          > /data/us/112/committees.xml is missing Senators and Representatives new
          > to the 112th.

          Actually I'm pretty sure it's missing all representatives entirely. :)
          I'm waiting for clerk.house.gov to publish committee assignments. I'll
          look into the Senate assignments but it's probably an upstream issue
          (i.e. the Senate, ugh).

          - Josh Tauberer
          - CivicImpulse

          http://razor.occams.info
          http://www.civicimpulse.com

          On 02/08/2011 10:19 AM, Eric Mill wrote:

          > Sweet, thanks for letting us know about this. An issue to report though:
          > /data/us/112/committees.xml is missing Senators and Representatives new
          > to the 112th.
          >
          > It has a few new Senators (Kirk, Manchin, Coons), but only ones that
          > were sworn in during the 111th session as a result of winning a special
          > election.
          >
          > Same for the House - for example, Rep. Hurt from VA-5 is absent from the
          > listings.
          >
          > -- Eric
          >
          > On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...
          > <mailto:tauberer@...>> wrote:
          >
          > I've just made some data format changes. It's effective immediately
          > because I had broken the data anyway.
          >
          > us/[session]/people.xml
          > -----------------------
          > Removed: committee-assignment elements giving the current committee
          > assignments of members. You can find this in
          > us/[session]/committees.xml instead.
          >
          > us/[session]/committeeschedule.xml
          > ----------------------------------
          > New: Attribute committee-id giving the ID of the committee named, e.g.
          > "SSEG", which ties to us/committees.xml and
          > us/[session]/committees.xml.

          > - CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us
          >
          > http://razor.occams.info | www.govtrack.us <http://www.govtrack.us>
          > | civicimpulse.com <http://civicimpulse.com>
          >
          > "Members of both sides are reminded not to use guests of the
          > House as props."

          > <mailto:govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

        • Eric Mill
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
            Ah, I didn't look at the House closely enough.

            But the Senate upstream is actually up to date:

            For example, Sen. Rand Paul appears there.

            -- Eric

            On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
            > Sweet, thanks for letting us know about this. An issue to report though:
            > /data/us/112/committees.xml is missing Senators and Representatives new
            > to the 112th.

            Actually I'm pretty sure it's missing all representatives entirely. :) I'm waiting for clerk.house.gov to publish committee assignments. I'll look into the Senate assignments but it's probably an upstream issue (i.e. the Senate, ugh).

            - Josh Tauberer
            - CivicImpulse

            http://razor.occams.info
            http://www.civicimpulse.com

            "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation!  Yields

               govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
              Ahha, they must have updated it in the last week or so. For some reason
              I don't run that scraper on a regular basis because I'm afraid it will
              break.

              Sadly, I get Senate committee assignments from

              http://senate.gov/pagelayout/committees/b_three_sections_with_teasers/membership.htm

              because it has subcommittee assignments. Another case where there is
              some XML but it is not worth it because they have deeper information in
              unstructured format...

              - Josh Tauberer
              - CivicImpulse

              http://razor.occams.info
              http://www.civicimpulse.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
                Oh and I've just updated the file. Thanks.

              • Derek Willis
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
                  The Senate assignments are now in the XML data:

                  Derek

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
                    But it doesn't have subcommittees, which I think is what Josh meant.