Re: Issue with rsync

  • luigi.montanez
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
      The command needs your local filename at the end:

      rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml people.xml

      - Luigi

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

      > Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml
      >
      > Returns:
      > receiving incremental file list
      > -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml
      >
      > Number of files: 1
      > Number of files transferred: 0
      > Total file size: 427213 bytes
      > Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
      > Literal data: 0 bytes
      > Matched data: 0 bytes
      > File list size: 28
      > File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
      > File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
      > Total bytes sent: 34
      > Total bytes received: 64
      >
      > sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
      > total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32
      >
      > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
      > > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
      > > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
      > > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
      > > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
      > > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
      > >
      > > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
      > > like?
      > >
      > > --
      > > David Steinbrunner

    • Yannick Assogba
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
        I think you need a target path as the final argument to rsync. So for example 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml .' (note the '.' (dot) at the end) will copy the file to the current directory.

        More generally you can do 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml /path/to/where/thefile' should go.

        Hope this helps
        Yannick
      • Luigi Montanez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
          You need to specify your local filename at the end of the command:

          On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM, andy51488 <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

          Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

          Returns:
          receiving incremental file list
          -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

          Number of files: 1
          Number of files transferred: 0
          Total file size: 427213 bytes
          Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
          Literal data: 0 bytes
          Matched data: 0 bytes
          File list size: 28
          File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
          File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
          Total bytes sent: 34
          Total bytes received: 64

          sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
          total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

          > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
          >
          > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
          > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
          > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
          > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
          > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
          > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
          >
          > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
          > like?
          >
          > --
          > David Steinbrunner

        • andy51488
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
            You guys are awesome. Thank you very much!