Re: Issue with rsync

  • andy51488
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
      Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

      Returns:
      receiving incremental file list
      -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

      Number of files: 1
      Number of files transferred: 0
      Total file size: 427213 bytes
      Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
      Literal data: 0 bytes
      Matched data: 0 bytes
      File list size: 28
      File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
      File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
      Total bytes sent: 34
      Total bytes received: 64

      sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
      total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

      > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
      >
      > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
      > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
      > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
      > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
      > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
      > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
      >
      > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
      > like?
      >
      > --
      > David Steinbrunner

    • luigi.montanez
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
        The command needs your local filename at the end:

        rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml people.xml

        - Luigi

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

        > Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml
        >
        > Returns:
        > receiving incremental file list
        > -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml
        >
        > Number of files: 1
        > Number of files transferred: 0
        > Total file size: 427213 bytes
        > Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
        > Literal data: 0 bytes
        > Matched data: 0 bytes
        > File list size: 28
        > File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
        > File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
        > Total bytes sent: 34
        > Total bytes received: 64
        >
        > sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
        > total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32
        >
        > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
        > > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
        > > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
        > > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
        > > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
        > > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
        > >
        > > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
        > > like?
        > >
        > > --
        > > David Steinbrunner

      • Yannick Assogba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
          I think you need a target path as the final argument to rsync. So for example 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml .' (note the '.' (dot) at the end) will copy the file to the current directory.

          More generally you can do 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml /path/to/where/thefile' should go.

          Hope this helps
          Yannick
        • Luigi Montanez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
            You need to specify your local filename at the end of the command:

            On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM, andy51488 <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

            Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

            Returns:
            receiving incremental file list
            -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

            Number of files: 1
            Number of files transferred: 0
            Total file size: 427213 bytes
            Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
            Literal data: 0 bytes
            Matched data: 0 bytes
            File list size: 28
            File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
            File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
            Total bytes sent: 34
            Total bytes received: 64

            sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
            total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

            > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
            >
            > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
            > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
            > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
            > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
            > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
            > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
            >
            > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
            > like?
            >
            > --
            > David Steinbrunner

          • andy51488
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
              You guys are awesome. Thank you very much!