Re: [govtrack] Issue with rsync

  • David Steinbrunner
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
      On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

      >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
      >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
      >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
      >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
      >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
      >would want me to provide to help solve this?

      What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
      like?

      --
      David Steinbrunner
    • andy51488
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
        Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

        Returns:
        receiving incremental file list
        -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

        Number of files: 1
        Number of files transferred: 0
        Total file size: 427213 bytes
        Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
        Literal data: 0 bytes
        Matched data: 0 bytes
        File list size: 28
        File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
        File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
        Total bytes sent: 34
        Total bytes received: 64

        sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
        total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

        > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
        >
        > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
        > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
        > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
        > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
        > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
        > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
        >
        > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
        > like?
        >
        > --
        > David Steinbrunner

      • luigi.montanez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
          The command needs your local filename at the end:

          rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml people.xml

          - Luigi

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

          > Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml
          >
          > Returns:
          > receiving incremental file list
          > -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml
          >
          > Number of files: 1
          > Number of files transferred: 0
          > Total file size: 427213 bytes
          > Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
          > Literal data: 0 bytes
          > Matched data: 0 bytes
          > File list size: 28
          > File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
          > File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
          > Total bytes sent: 34
          > Total bytes received: 64
          >
          > sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
          > total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32
          >
          > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@> wrote:
          > >
          > > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
          > > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
          > > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
          > > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
          > > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
          > > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
          > >
          > > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
          > > like?
          > >
          > > --
          > > David Steinbrunner

        • Yannick Assogba
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            I think you need a target path as the final argument to rsync. So for example 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml .' (note the '.' (dot) at the end) will copy the file to the current directory.

            More generally you can do 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml /path/to/where/thefile' should go.

            Hope this helps
            Yannick
          • Luigi Montanez
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
              You need to specify your local filename at the end of the command:

              On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM, andy51488 <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

              Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

              Returns:
              receiving incremental file list
              -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

              Number of files: 1
              Number of files transferred: 0
              Total file size: 427213 bytes
              Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
              Literal data: 0 bytes
              Matched data: 0 bytes
              File list size: 28
              File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
              File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
              Total bytes sent: 34
              Total bytes received: 64

              sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
              total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

              --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

              > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
              >
              > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
              > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
              > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
              > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
              > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
              > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
              >
              > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
              > like?
              >
              > --
              > David Steinbrunner

            • andy51488
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
                You guys are awesome. Thank you very much!