Issue with rsync

  • andy51488
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi all,

      New to the group - building a site that encourages interaction while still being an information source.

      I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you would want me to provide to help solve this?

      Thanks a lot.
    • David Steinbrunner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
        On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

        >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
        >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
        >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
        >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
        >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
        >would want me to provide to help solve this?

        What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
        like?

        --
        David Steinbrunner
      • andy51488
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
          Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

          Returns:
          receiving incremental file list
          -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

          Number of files: 1
          Number of files transferred: 0
          Total file size: 427213 bytes
          Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
          Literal data: 0 bytes
          Matched data: 0 bytes
          File list size: 28
          File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
          File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
          Total bytes sent: 34
          Total bytes received: 64

          sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
          total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

          > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
          >
          > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
          > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
          > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
          > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
          > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
          > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
          >
          > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
          > like?
          >
          > --
          > David Steinbrunner

        • luigi.montanez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            The command needs your local filename at the end:

            rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml people.xml

            - Luigi

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

            > Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml
            >
            > Returns:
            > receiving incremental file list
            > -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml
            >
            > Number of files: 1
            > Number of files transferred: 0
            > Total file size: 427213 bytes
            > Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
            > Literal data: 0 bytes
            > Matched data: 0 bytes
            > File list size: 28
            > File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
            > File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
            > Total bytes sent: 34
            > Total bytes received: 64
            >
            > sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
            > total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32
            >
            > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@> wrote:
            > >
            > > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
            > > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
            > > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
            > > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
            > > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
            > > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
            > >
            > > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
            > > like?
            > >
            > > --
            > > David Steinbrunner

          • Yannick Assogba
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
              I think you need a target path as the final argument to rsync. So for example 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml .' (note the '.' (dot) at the end) will copy the file to the current directory.

              More generally you can do 'rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml /path/to/where/thefile' should go.

              Hope this helps
              Yannick
            • Luigi Montanez
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
                You need to specify your local filename at the end of the command:

                On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM, andy51488 <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:

                Command: rsync -azv --progress --stats govtrack.us::govtrackdata/us/112/people.xml

                Returns:
                receiving incremental file list
                -rw-r--r-- 427313 2011/01/07 12:06:47 people.xml

                Number of files: 1
                Number of files transferred: 0
                Total file size: 427213 bytes
                Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
                Literal data: 0 bytes
                Matched data: 0 bytes
                File list size: 28
                File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
                File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
                Total bytes sent: 34
                Total bytes received: 64

                sent 34 bytes received 64 bytes 65.33 bytes/sec
                total size is 427213 speedup is 4359.32

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, David Steinbrunner <dsteinbrunner@...> wrote:

                > On 1/7/11 2:53 PM, "andy51488" <andy.j.balan@...> wrote:
                >
                > >I've been trying to use rsync on the data for the 112th, but for some
                > >reason the files aren't transferring. My server can connect to govtrack
                > >just fine and read the files, but they aren't being copied back to me. I
                > >use an Ubuntu server. I'm also fairly new to programming...any thoughts
                > >off the top of your head for why this isn't working? Any other info you
                > >would want me to provide to help solve this?
                >
                > What does your rsync command look like and does the resulting output look
                > like?
                >
                > --
                > David Steinbrunner

              • andy51488
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
                  You guys are awesome. Thank you very much!