Re: [govtrack] Re: THOMAS made a bunch of updates

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
      I'm not sure what was going on with that bill. The revised title "Middle
      Class..." ought to have been listed on the Titles page, which is where
      GovTrack picks up the data. I'm not sure what to do in that case.

      And thanks for pointing out the missing parse of that action line. I'm
      re-parsing all bill data, back to 1990 or whatever it is.

      On 12/13/2010 05:21 PM, Eric Mill wrote:

      > Aaaaand, another breakage in the same bill, not sure if it's related to
      > THOMAS' changes or not. Hope my repeated emails aren't too aggravating. :)
      >
      > There's an <action> element that should be a <vote>:
      >
      > <action datetime="2010-12-02T15:55:00-05:00"><text>On motion that the
      > House agree with an amendment to the Senate amendment Agreed to by the
      > Yeas and Nays: 234 - 188 (Roll no. 604).</text><reference label="text as
      > House agreed to Senate amendment with amendment" ref="CR
      > H7874-7876"/></action>
      >
      > -- Eric
      >
      > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...
      > <mailto:eric@...>> wrote:
      >
      > Yep, I can already see a breakage -
      >
      > THOMAS lists the "Latest Title" (which just changed wording from
      > "Title") of HR 4853 (the tax-cut compromise bill) as the Middle
      > Class Tax Relief Act, but GovTrack doesn't have that title. On the
      > "Titles" page, THOMAS still only mentions the Middle Class Tax
      > Relief Act title in the context of the "Latest Title".
      >
      > http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.111hr4853
      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4853.xml
      >
      > -- Eric
      >
      > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Eric Mill
      > <eric@... <mailto:eric@...>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > This may pose a risk to your scrapers. Though the Dublin Core
      > elements may simplify getting at least those elements.
      >
      > Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the link to FDSys
      > instead of GPO will mean more accurate bill text archiving?
      >
      > -- Eric

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
        Cool, thanks.

        Yeah, the best thing I could think of for the title parser would be to
        look at the "Latest Title" element, and if that title appears nowhere
        in the list of titles, assume it's the latest short or official title
        for the bill. Not ideal.

        -- Eric