Announcing POPVOX

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
      Hey all,

      I've joined a former congressional staffer and a (soon to be former)
      lobbyist on a new project to fix the cacophony-driven channels
      constituents are directed into when communicating with their members of
      congress.

      We'll have a beta in a few weeks, but we've already started blogging
      about where we're headed:

      http://www.popvox.com/

      Thanks for your support,

    • Harvey Frey
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
        Josh:

            One thing that's bugged me about congressional email sites is that they usually bounce  or refuse to respond to any message that comes from outside the member's district, even if the member is on a house-wide committee handling affairs that affect every American.

        It suggests that all they care about is re-election, even though they don't hesitate to solicit election funds from outside their district.

            Even the Senate Majority Leader, a National office if there ever was one, will only respond to messages from within his tiny State.

            I can understand this as a response to the information overload that Marci talks about, but I would hope that, if you can find some way to condense the input stream, you would be able to reverse this restrictive policy, and find a way to open up communication to everyone.

            Perhaps messages could be flagged if they relate to Committee work, as opposed to purely local issues, and not restricted to the district or state in that case.

        Harvey

        Josh Tauberer wrote:

        Hey all,

        I've joined a former congressional staffer and a (soon to be former)
        lobbyist on a new project to fix the cacophony-driven channels
        constituents are directed into when communicating with their members of
        congress.

        We'll have a beta in a few weeks, but we've already started blogging
        about where we're headed:

        http://www.popvox.com/

        Thanks for your support,

      • Eric Mill
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
          I don't think it suggests that all they care about is re-election; what it means is that they have different roles, and there are different ways to communicate to those roles.

          The House Majority Leader position has its own site, with its own contact form, for instance:

          As does the Speaker position:

          The Senate is not as good at this, I couldn't find contact forms for the equivalent site for Harry Reid (http://democrats.senate.gov/leadership/).  But the answer is for the Senate to follow the House's lead, and for committees to solicit national constituent contact (I couldn't find any examples of them doing this, either).  I blame it on incompetence and a slowness to update technology inside the Senate, more than naked self-interest.

          -- Eric

          Josh Tauberer wrote:

          Hey all,

          I've joined a former congressional staffer and a (soon to be former)
          lobbyist on a new project to fix the cacophony-driven channels
          constituents are directed into when communicating with their members of
          congress.

          We'll have a beta in a few weeks, but we've already started blogging
          about where we're headed:

          http://www.popvox.com/

          Thanks for your support,

        • Joshua Tauberer/GovTrack
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
            I sympathize. The trouble is that we can't force them to read things they don't want to read. So, as you said, if we help them process communications better maybe they will want to. That would be great.

            On the other hand, we *will* be providing national statistics on public sentiment. That (along with everything else) will be available for the public & media to examine, and, we hope, that in turn will incentiveize members of congress to take out of district sentiment into account.

            Thanks for your thoughts. It's always helpful.

            Josh