Status of archival data

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2010
      Hey,

      Just a status update.

      A while back I started importing roll call votes from 1789 to 1989 from
      Professor Keith Poole. As per a thread not too long ago, the file naming
      convention was inconsistent with later votes. I've re-done it so that
      the files are consistently session/rolls/[hs]XXX-NNNN.xml, where XXX is
      the (sub-)session number and NNNN is the vote number. With the 77th
      Congress (1941-1942) forward, (sub-)sessions are just the year number,
      so we have h2010-1.xml for the first vote this year. Before the 77th
      Congress, (sub-)sessions didn't align with calendar years, so they are
      numbered 1, 2, 3, and sometimes A and B. These are all explicitly listed
      in data/us/sessions.tsv in the second column. So there is
      data/us/76/rolls/h1-77.xml.

      The URLs for the corresponding vote pages on GovTrack is a whole other
      story. For the 77th Congress forward, it's the same as before,
      vote.xpd?vote=[hs]YYYY-NNNN. Before the 77th Congress, the URL looks
      like [hs]AAA_BBB-NNNN where AAA is the Congress number and BBB is the
      (sub-)session.

      As for bills, I've gone back and checked that while I have some files
      laying around that go back further, everything looks good from the 99th
      Congress (1985-186) forward. Amendments may not be ok in the 99th
      Congress but are OK in the 100th Congress and forward. As I have time
      I'll be extending this back as far back as THOMAS goes, which I think is
      the 94th Congress. The only trouble is making sure that the records for
      the members of congress are correct so that people are parsed to their
      IDs correctly.

      That's all.