Re: [govtrack] 2 issues

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2010
      And I'll make sure Sunlight updates the PVS ID for Bobby Jindal.

      On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
      >>     * Rolls from the keithpoole data source use a different naming
      >>       scheme than we see elsewhere.  e.g. 'h16.xml' rather than
      >>       '1987-h16.xml'. For congress 101, both sources are present, under
      >>       the 2 different naming schemes.
      >
      > Right I was forced into this because earlier in Congressional history
      > (esp at the beginning) Congresses didn't line up with years very nicely.
      > In fact, they still don't but as a matter of practicality it hadn't
      > mattered. In the 1st Congress, for instance, it ends on March 3, 1791
      > and the 2nd Congress starts the next day. That means a vote with an id
      > that has the year and roll call number is ambiguous between possibly two
      > sessions.
      >
      > So I changed the naming scheme for roll call votes brought in this way
      > to just the roll call number in the files, and in the website URLs I
      > think it has the session number and roll call number.
      >
      > An unavoidable mess.
      >
      > In the 101st Congress, I think the Senate votes may go with the new
      > (i.e. 102-111th) scheme and the House votes may go with the historical
      > (i.e. 1st-101st) scheme. Maybe.
      >
      >>     * Most senate bills missing for congress 101.  This is a bit odd
      >>       because the roll data seems complete, while on the Blll side,
      >>       there are many missing bills, including it seems the vast majority
      >>       of Senate bills.  Congress 100 and 102 don't seem to have this problem
      >
      > I'm not sure how far back I've imported data from THOMAS. The further I
      > go back, the more errors pop up. For sure it's relatively complete as
      > far back as the 103rd. Also, bill and vote data come from different
      > sources, so you can't judge the completeness of one by the other.
      >
      > These things have all been in progress for a long time...
      >
      >> Bobby Jindal carries a PVS id (26879) which has apparently been retired and replaced (with 35481).
      >
      > I'll update the db. I used to enter PVS IDs myself but now get it from
      > Sunlight's API on a periodical/random basis.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Josh

    • Ben Woosley

        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2010
          On 05/02/2010 08:14 PM, Ben Woosley wrote:
          > On rolls, you might consider using the new, year-less scheme across the
          > board, with soft links or the like aliasing the xml to the old naming
          > scheme.

          Ah but the House and Senate currently reset their numbering at the start
          of each calendar year, so e.g. there are two roll #1's in each chamber
          for the 111th Congress.

          (What's a poor schema designer to do? :)

        • Harvey Frey
          Message 4 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                Has anyone tried downloading bills from Thomas in HTML format, or converting their Text downloads to HTML?

                The guy at the Thomas help desk at first didn't understand what I wanted, and then said that no one had ever asked for that before.

                As you know, when you download the Contents page of a bill, the hyperlinks to the actual sections point to your own local folder instead of to the Thomas page where they exist.

                If you add a base statement to point them back to the Thomas site, the links disappear in a few minutes since the search expires.

                If you download all their referenced pages, you can't use their links to convert them to local hyperlinks, since they address them through a cgi program instead of through static name anchors.

                Your can download a bill as plain text rather than HTML, but manually adding all the name anchors and hyperlinks would be a massive job.

                (I did it for the Patriot Act, and it wasn't fun, especially since it looked like they intentionally obfuscated the references, sometimes using Public Law References, sometimes USC, and sometimes common names, so it was a detective job to find the sections they were amending.)

                Has anyone tried this, say with perl?

                I'm specifically interested in HR 3590, the recent Health Reform Bill.
            Some bills are posted as a massive XML file, but this one isn't. (If it were, I suppose you could use their id/id-ref pairs to construct href/name pairs, and then clean out the rest of the XML cruft.)

            Harvey

            =============================
            Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
            hsfrey@...  www.harp.org
            -----------------------------
            "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."
            - Brian Eno

            =============================
            Message 5 of 14 , May 24, 2010
              That's what GovTrack does to get bill text.
              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/111/h/h3590.html

              I clean the HTML and make sure it's well-formed XML before putting it there.

              On 05/24/2010 06:59 PM, Harvey Frey wrote:

              > Has anyone tried downloading bills from Thomas in HTML format, or
              > converting their Text downloads to HTML?
              >
              > The guy at the Thomas help desk at first didn't understand what I
              > wanted, and then said that no one had ever asked for that before.
              >
              > As you know, when you download the Contents page of a bill, the
              > hyperlinks to the actual sections point to your own local folder instead
              > of to the Thomas page where they exist.
              >
              > If you add a base statement to point them back to the Thomas site, the
              > links disappear in a few minutes since the search expires.
              >
              > If you download all their referenced pages, you can't use their links to
              > convert them to local hyperlinks, since they address them through a cgi
              > program instead of through static name anchors.
              >
              > Your can download a bill as plain text rather than HTML, but manually
              > adding all the name anchors and hyperlinks would be a massive job.
              >
              > (I did it for the Patriot Act, and it wasn't fun, especially since it
              > looked like they intentionally obfuscated the references, sometimes
              > using Public Law References, sometimes USC, and sometimes common names,
              > so it was a detective job to find the sections they were amending.)
              >
              > Has anyone tried this, say with perl?
              >
              > I'm specifically interested in HR 3590, the recent Health Reform Bill.
              > Some bills are posted as a massive XML file, but this one isn't. (If it
              > were, I suppose you could use their id/id-ref pairs to construct
              > href/name pairs, and then clean out the rest of the XML cruft.)
              >
              > Harvey
              >
              > =============================
              > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
              > hsfrey@... www.harp.org
              > -----------------------------
              > "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."
              > - Brian Eno
              > =============================

            • Neil M.
              Message 6 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                I've got an old python script that takes the US Code text files (from
                http://uscode.house.gov), scans for references and outputs mediawiki
                formatted pages and wiki links. It shouldn't be too difficult to modify
                it to parse some other text/HTML file and output HTML instead. What is
                it you want to link to exactly? The aforementioned US Code website?
                Thomas? Both?

                Neil

                On 5/24/2010 3:59 PM, Harvey Frey wrote:

                > Has anyone tried downloading bills from Thomas in HTML format, or
                > converting their Text downloads to HTML?
                >
                > The guy at the Thomas help desk at first didn't understand what I
                > wanted, and then said that no one had ever asked for that before.
                >
                > As you know, when you download the Contents page of a bill, the
                > hyperlinks to the actual sections point to your own local folder instead
                > of to the Thomas page where they exist.
                >
                > If you add a base statement to point them back to the Thomas site,
                > the links disappear in a few minutes since the search expires.
                >
                > If you download all their referenced pages, you can't use their
                > links to convert them to local hyperlinks, since they address them
                > through a cgi program instead of through static name anchors.
                >
                > Your can download a bill as plain text rather than HTML, but
                > manually adding all the name anchors and hyperlinks would be a massive job.
                >
                > (I did it for the Patriot Act, and it wasn't fun, especially since
                > it looked like they intentionally obfuscated the references, sometimes
                > using Public Law References, sometimes USC, and sometimes common names,
                > so it was a detective job to find the sections they were amending.)
                >
                > Has anyone tried this, say with perl?
                >
                > I'm specifically interested in HR 3590, the recent Health Reform
                > Bill. Some bills are posted as a massive XML file, but this one isn't.
                > (If it were, I suppose you could use their id/id-ref pairs to construct
                > href/name pairs, and then clean out the rest of the XML cruft.)
                >
                > Harvey
                >
                > =============================
                > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                > hsfrey@... www.harp.org
                > -----------------------------
                > "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."
                > - Brian Eno
                > =============================

              • Harvey Frey
                Message 7 of 14 , May 24, 2010
                  Josh:

                      What I'm trying to do is clean it up so the section hierarchy is displayed, and add hyperlinks to the text from the TOC. This is an excerpt of the TOC. What doesn't show here is that the lines are hyperlinks, and I've used a different background color for the sections of text added to other acts. (The back-ticks are not very salient.)

                      It's not that I'm a neat freak - I just get easily confused when the margins are all raggedy and the fonts don't go with the hierarchy.

                  Harvey

                  SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.

                    (a) Short Title- This Act may be cited as the `Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act'.
                    (b) Table of Contents- The table of contents of this Act is as follows:
                      Sec. 1. Short title; table of contents.

                  TITLE I--QUALITY, AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE FOR ALL AMERICANS

                  Josh Tauberer wrote:

                  That's what GovTrack does to get bill text.
                  http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/111/h/h3590.html

                  I clean the HTML and make sure it's well-formed XML before putting it there.

                  On 05/24/2010 06:59 PM, Harvey Frey wrote:

                  > Has anyone tried downloading bills from Thomas in HTML format, or
                  > converting their Text downloads to HTML?
                  >
                  > The guy at the Thomas help desk at first didn't understand what I
                  > wanted, and then said that no one had ever asked for that before.
                  >
                  > As you know, when you download the Contents page of a bill, the
                  > hyperlinks to the actual sections point to your own local folder instead
                  > of to the Thomas page where they exist.
                  >
                  > If you add a base statement to point them back to the Thomas site, the
                  > links disappear in a few minutes since the search expires.
                  >
                  > If you download all their referenced pages, you can't use their links to
                  > convert them to local hyperlinks, since they address them through a cgi
                  > program instead of through static name anchors.
                  >
                  > Your can download a bill as plain text rather than HTML, but manually
                  > adding all the name anchors and hyperlinks would be a massive job.
                  >
                  > (I did it for the Patriot Act, and it wasn't fun, especially since it
                  > looked like they intentionally obfuscated the references, sometimes
                  > using Public Law References, sometimes USC, and sometimes common names,
                  > so it was a detective job to find the sections they were amending.)
                  >
                  > Has anyone tried this, say with perl?
                  >
                  > I'm specifically interested in HR 3590, the recent Health Reform Bill.
                  > Some bills are posted as a massive XML file, but this one isn't. (If it
                  > were, I suppose you could use their id/id-ref pairs to construct
                  > href/name pairs, and then clean out the rest of the XML cruft.)
                  >
                  > Harvey
                  >
                  > =============================
                  > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                  > hsfrey@... www.harp.org
                  > -----------------------------
                  > "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."
                  > - Brian Eno
                  > =============================

                • Harvey Frey
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 25, 2010
                    Hi Neil:

                        Thanks for the response!

                        I simply want to use the 'contents' section of a bill to hyperlink to the actual text paragraphs within the same bill, to make the bills easier to navigate and comprehend.

                        If I save the contents page from Thomas, the links point to a cgi script and disappear within a few minutes. AFAIK, Thomas uses no permanent links - everything runs through their cgi script.

                        If I download the entire bill from Thomas, it contains no links at all, so I need to be able to find section headings and put name anchors there, and put corresponding href anchors in the correct TOC line, but not do it for incidental references which are not headings.

                        So it's not a problem of finding stereotypical text references to USC sections and constructing HTML from them. That would be a pretty straightforward RegExp problem.

                    Harvey

                    Neil M. wrote:
[...]

                        govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Neil M.
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 25, 2010
                      I had some free time, something like this?

                      http://www.nabber.org/media/HR3590.html

                      Neil

                      On 5/25/2010 7:23 PM, Harvey Frey wrote:

> [...]
                      >>>
                      >>> (I did it for the Patriot Act, and it wasn't fun, especially since
                      >>> it looked like they intentionally obfuscated the references, sometimes
                      >>> using Public Law References, sometimes USC, and sometimes common names,
                      >>> so it was a detective job to find the sections they were amending.)
                      >>>
                      >>> Has anyone tried this, say with perl?
                      >>>
                      >>> I'm specifically interested in HR 3590, the recent Health Reform
                      >>> Bill. Some bills are posted as a massive XML file, but this one isn't.
                      >>> (If it were, I suppose you could use their id/id-ref pairs to construct
                      >>> href/name pairs, and then clean out the rest of the XML cruft.)
                      >>>
                      >>> Harvey
                      >>>
                      >>> =============================
                      >>> Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                      >>> hsfrey@... www.harp.org
                      >>> -----------------------------
                      >>> "Withdrawing in disgust is not the same thing as apathy."

                    • Harvey Frey
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 26, 2010
                        Neil:

                            Precisely! :-D
                            Thank You!

                            Did you write a script to do that?
                            Manually it would surely have taken more than a little "free time" !!

                        Harvey

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 26, 2010
                          Yes I wrote a quick Python script if anyone wants it just let me know.

                          Neil

                          On 5/26/2010 11:05 AM, Harvey Frey wrote:

                          > Neil:
                          >
                          > Precisely! :-D
                          > Thank You!
                          >
                          > Did you write a script to do that?
                          > Manually it would surely have taken more than a little "free time" !!
                          >
                          > Harvey
                          >
                          > Neil M. wrote:
                          >
                          >> I had some free time, something like this?
                          >>
                          >> http://www.nabber.org/media/HR3590.html
                          >>
                          >> Neil
                          >>
                          >> On 5/25/2010 7:23 PM, Harvey Frey wrote:
                          >>

                          >>> Hi Neil:
                          >>>
                          >>> Thanks for the response!
                          >>>
                          >>> I simply want to use the 'contents' section of a bill to hyperlink
                          >>> to the actual text paragraphs within the same bill, to make the bills
                          >>> easier to navigate and comprehend.
                          >>>
                          >>> If I save the contents page from Thomas, the links point to a cgi
                          >>> script and disappear within a few minutes. AFAIK, Thomas uses no
                          >>> permanent links - everything runs through their cgi script.
                          >>>
                          >>> If I download the entire bill from Thomas, it contains no links at
                          >>> all, so I need to be able to find section headings and put name anchors
                          >>> there, and put corresponding href anchors in the correct TOC line, but
                          >>> not do it for incidental references which are not headings.
                          >>>
                          >>> So it's not a problem of finding stereotypical text references to
                          >>> USC sections and constructing HTML from them. That would be a pretty
                          >>> straightforward RegExp problem.
                          >>>
                          >>> Harvey

                        • Harvey Frey
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 26, 2010
                            Neil:

                            if anyone wants it just let me know<

                                 Yes, please!

                                It does need a little manual post-editing, since the section numbers in amended texts can be (and are) duplicates.

                            Harvey