Re: district center/zoom data and people.xml at-large districts

  • Ben Woosley
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 15, 2010
      To answer my own questions, I believe the -1 is for territories, while the 0 is for at-large districts, while the data source is http://rdfabout.com/, which is itself the published data store.

      Now, if only I knew SPARQL...

      -Ben

      On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Ben Woosley <ben.woosley@...> wrote:
      Hi Josh & al.,

      I'm writing some map JS [1], I wonder if you'd be able to point me to or release the data used by http://www.govtrack.us/perl/wms/list-regions.cgi ?

      Also, I noticed in people.xml  is that some at-large districts marked district="0", while other older ones are marked district="-1".  Is this an oversight or is there some difference I'm not seeing?  I've normalized these to 0 on votereports.

      -Ben

      [1] that is, in hopes of addressing a problem I'm having with the map loading unzoomed & centered if a user doesn't hover properly on the district hover target, e.g.

      Screen shot 2010-04-15 at 1.39.24 AM.png

      On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM, skyebend <skyebend@...> wrote:

      Hi govtrackers,
      We just discovered that there are some votesmart ids in people.xml that
      are appearing more than once, and a wrong when we check against
      votesmart. Does anyone know if these ids come from Sunlight, or are
      they matched by govtrack? Some of these with the same id are in adjacent
      rows in the
      file (when alphabetical), which seems suspicious.

      837 should be Baird, not Baker
      60032 should be Carney
      55787 should be Langevin
      26768 should be Harman
      26723 should be Lincoln not Lott
      23797 Wu not Wynn
      12080 Lincon Davis, not Jo Ann Davis

      worried that there may be other non-dupes that are also errors, I'll
      check after we get the lastnames loaded from votesmart.

      best,
      -skye

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2010
        On 04/15/2010 01:43 AM, Ben Woosley wrote:
        > I'm writing some map JS [1], I wonder if you'd be able to point me to or
        > release the data used by http://www.govtrack.us/perl/wms/list-regions.cgi ?

        Hey, Ben. That's all cartographic files right from the Census Bureau:
        http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp2009/tgrshp2009.html

        I learn something new about GIS all the time. It's incredible how
        unintuitively complicated it gets.

        (rdfabout.com is just another one of my faces --- it's my playground for
        semantic web projects)

        > Also, I noticed in people.xml
        > <http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/people.xml> is that some at-large
        > districts marked district="0", while other older ones are marked
        > district="-1". Is this an oversight or is there some difference I'm not
        > seeing? I've normalized these to 0 on votereports.

        -1 means "I don't know", for historical data. There shouldn't be any
        -1's for the last ~20 years of data, and I've filled in a lot of the
        historical data manually and from an academic data source (Keith Poole's
        voting records database).

        0 is districts at large.

        Fun fact: Vermont used to have multiple at-large congressmen serving
        simultaneously rather than congressmen elected by district.

        Josh