Re: [govtrack] What makes a and what makes an

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2010
      Okay, I've updated the parsing of votes as follows:

      "vote2" votes --- that's when the House votes on a Senate bill or vice
      versa, for the first time --- now check the status for "with an
      amendment" or similar. If that's found, then the bill isn't going on to
      the president but instead goes back to the other chamber or conference
      committee. So the new state goes from PASSED:BILL to new codes
      PASS_BACK:SENATE/PASS_BACK:HOUSE instead.

      If it goes back to the originating chamber for yet another vote, or if
      it goes back and forth, these are now parsed as <vote> nodes with type
      attribute "pingpong". When one of these votes passes, the new state
      becomes PASSED:BILL.

      Votes on conference reports are now put in a <vote> node instead of
      <vote-aux>, but the type attribute remains "conference".

      I'm doing a re-parse of all bills now.

      On 04/09/2010 01:48 PM, Eric Mill wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > In the XML for bills, I've gathered that<vote> actions are for
      > passage votes, both voice and roll call, and don't include procedural
      > votes. This is obviously an important distinction, but it seems to be
      > missing an important type of vote, which is agreeing to the amendments
      > by another chamber.
      >
      > For example, the big historic health care vote in the House, on the
      > Senate health care bill, rings in only as an<action> that says "On
      > motion that the House agree to the Senate amendments Agreed to by
      > recorded vote: 219 - 212 (Roll no. 165)."
      >
      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h3590.xml
      >
      > Shouldn't this be considered a passage vote? Is there any way to
      > distinguish this vote in THOMAS from other actions upon a bill?
      >
      > -- Eric

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
        This is more than great, and amazingly responsive - thank you, Josh.

        This also fixes the issue where bills that passed both chamber, but
        were destined for conference and not the president, were marked as
        "PASSED:BILL", which was a bit confusing.

        Awesome!

        -- Eric