Re: Signed vs Enacted in bill XML?

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
      There's some kind of issue here - the bill status has now backtracked
      to just PASSED:BILL, and the <signed> element is missing entirely.
      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml

      And the GovTrack page for the bill now has the Signed By President
      checkbox as unchecked:
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4872

      -- Eric

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
        This is one of those cases where a deep screen-scrape of THOMAS goes
        wrong because their interface isn't clear. GovTrack had been using
        THOMAS's All Information page to get sponsor, cosposors, and actions
        (which gives status). This page has had a long-standing bug that it
        gets truncated if it is too long:

        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L&summ2=m&

        Actually I use this URL which isn't provided on the site which gives the
        same minus the summary, so it gets truncated later, and I get the
        summary by another fetch to the CRS Summary page specifically:

        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L

        I reported this bug to them probably four years ago and never heard back
        (except maybe for an initial acknowledgment).

        Since the last few action lines are cut off, the scraper didn't get a
        chance to see the bill was enacted.

        Anyway, I've now switched to using the All Congressional Action page for
        sponsor and actions which doesn't have this problem (or if it does, the
        output is a bit shorter so at least in this case it doesn't get cut off):

        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@X

        Plus a second fetch to the page specific for cosponsors.

        That brings the total number of page fetches per bill to 8, and since
        they require accesses no more than one per second, this is why it takes
        so long to update info.

        I'll re-run the scrape on all bills this session (and later on earlier
        sessions) to make sure this doesn't cause problems on other bills.

        Thanks,