Re: [govtrack] Signed vs Enacted in bill XML?

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      Thanks, Josh!

      On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      <tauberer@...> wrote:
      > Eric Mill wrote:
      >> Is there a delay between when a bill is signed into law, and gets a
      >> item?  I ask because the reconciliation bill, HR 4872, has <signed>
      >> but not <enacted> in its <actions> history.
      >>
      >> The reconciliation bill:
      >> http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml
      >>
      >> Versus the senate health care bill:
      >> http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h3590.xml
      >
      > <enacted> comes after some final administrative action that assigns it a
      > public/private law number.
      >
      > Josh

    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 1:23 PM
        There's some kind of issue here - the bill status has now backtracked
        to just PASSED:BILL, and the <signed> element is missing entirely.
        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml

        And the GovTrack page for the bill now has the Signed By President
        checkbox as unchecked:
        http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4872

        -- Eric

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 2:55 PM
          This is one of those cases where a deep screen-scrape of THOMAS goes
          wrong because their interface isn't clear. GovTrack had been using
          THOMAS's All Information page to get sponsor, cosposors, and actions
          (which gives status). This page has had a long-standing bug that it
          gets truncated if it is too long:

          http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L&summ2=m&

          Actually I use this URL which isn't provided on the site which gives the
          same minus the summary, so it gets truncated later, and I get the
          summary by another fetch to the CRS Summary page specifically:

          http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L

          I reported this bug to them probably four years ago and never heard back
          (except maybe for an initial acknowledgment).

          Since the last few action lines are cut off, the scraper didn't get a
          chance to see the bill was enacted.

          Anyway, I've now switched to using the All Congressional Action page for
          sponsor and actions which doesn't have this problem (or if it does, the
          output is a bit shorter so at least in this case it doesn't get cut off):

          http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@X

          Plus a second fetch to the page specific for cosponsors.

          That brings the total number of page fetches per bill to 8, and since
          they require accesses no more than one per second, this is why it takes
          so long to update info.

          I'll re-run the scrape on all bills this session (and later on earlier
          sessions) to make sure this doesn't cause problems on other bills.

          Thanks,