Signed vs Enacted in bill XML?

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
      Is there a delay between when a bill is signed into law, and gets a
      item? I ask because the reconciliation bill, HR 4872, has <signed>
      but not <enacted> in its <actions> history.

      The reconciliation bill:
      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml

      Versus the senate health care bill:
      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h3590.xml

      -- Eric
    • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
        Eric Mill wrote:
        > Is there a delay between when a bill is signed into law, and gets a
        > item? I ask because the reconciliation bill, HR 4872, has <signed>
        > but not <enacted> in its <actions> history.
        >
        > The reconciliation bill:
        > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml
        >
        > Versus the senate health care bill:
        > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h3590.xml

        <enacted> comes after some final administrative action that assigns it a
        public/private law number.

        Josh
      • Eric Mill
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2010
          Thanks, Josh!

          On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack.us
          <tauberer@...> wrote:
          > Eric Mill wrote:
          >> Is there a delay between when a bill is signed into law, and gets a
          >> item?  I ask because the reconciliation bill, HR 4872, has <signed>
          >> but not <enacted> in its <actions> history.
          >>
          >> The reconciliation bill:
          >> http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml
          >>
          >> Versus the senate health care bill:
          >> http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h3590.xml
          >
          > <enacted> comes after some final administrative action that assigns it a
          > public/private law number.
          >
          > Josh

        • Eric Mill
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
            There's some kind of issue here - the bill status has now backtracked
            to just PASSED:BILL, and the <signed> element is missing entirely.
            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h4872.xml

            And the GovTrack page for the bill now has the Signed By President
            checkbox as unchecked:
            http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4872

            -- Eric

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2010
              This is one of those cases where a deep screen-scrape of THOMAS goes
              wrong because their interface isn't clear. GovTrack had been using
              THOMAS's All Information page to get sponsor, cosposors, and actions
              (which gives status). This page has had a long-standing bug that it
              gets truncated if it is too long:

              http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L&summ2=m&

              Actually I use this URL which isn't provided on the site which gives the
              same minus the summary, so it gets truncated later, and I get the
              summary by another fetch to the CRS Summary page specifically:

              http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@L

              I reported this bug to them probably four years ago and never heard back
              (except maybe for an initial acknowledgment).

              Since the last few action lines are cut off, the scraper didn't get a
              chance to see the bill was enacted.

              Anyway, I've now switched to using the All Congressional Action page for
              sponsor and actions which doesn't have this problem (or if it does, the
              output is a bit shorter so at least in this case it doesn't get cut off):

              http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR04872:@@@X

              Plus a second fetch to the page specific for cosponsors.

              That brings the total number of page fetches per bill to 8, and since
              they require accesses no more than one per second, this is why it takes
              so long to update info.

              I'll re-run the scrape on all bills this session (and later on earlier
              sessions) to make sure this doesn't cause problems on other bills.

              Thanks,