Re: [govtrack] finding a list of all votes associated with a particular bill

  • Eric Mill
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23 5:32 PM
      I should note that that only applies to passage votes, not to procedural, cloture, or amendment votes  Here's the corresponding file for H. 1:
      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h1.xml

      -- Eric

      On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:
      The XML data in /data/bills/111/ has better info on passage votes - in the actions list for a bill, there will be <vote> (or occasionally <vote-aux>) tags that have the passage and type of a vote in the XML in a normalized way. In the votes_download.xml API endpoint, the best you get for a result is a textual description.

      -- Eric

      On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Neil Drumm <drumm@...> wrote:

      We use pages like http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes_download_xml.xpd?bill=h111-1, which is an XML version of http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1&tab=votes. I think that page used to link to that XML, but I don't see it now. There is also http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h1.xml and actions from each amendment, http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills.amdt/, which will cover every type of vote. Watch out for de-duping.

      http://drupal.org/project/legislature does this import for a MySQL database managed by a Drupal install. I think there may still be some pending code to commit around this, so watch for changes if you use it.

      -Neil

      On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:

      Is this available through GovTrack APIs at all? You could download
      all of the roll XML files and load the bill IDs into a database, and
      search through it that way...

      -- Eric

      On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Jack <jangelo42@...> wrote:
      > I'm trying to create a list of all recorded votes for a particular bill.  Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

      Neil Drumm
      http://delocalizedham.com