finding a list of all votes associated with a particular bill

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2010
      I'm trying to create a list of all recorded votes for a particular bill. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?
    • Eric Mill
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2010
        Is this available through GovTrack APIs at all? You could download
        all of the roll XML files and load the bill IDs into a database, and
        search through it that way...

        -- Eric

        On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Jack <jangelo42@...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to create a list of all recorded votes for a particular bill.  Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

      • Neil Drumm
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2010
          We use pages like http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes_download_xml.xpd?bill=h111-1, which is an XML version of http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1&tab=votes. I think that page used to link to that XML, but I don't see it now. There is also http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills/h1.xml and actions from each amendment, http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/111/bills.amdt/, which will cover every type of vote. Watch out for de-duping.

          http://drupal.org/project/legislature does this import for a MySQL database managed by a Drupal install. I think there may still be some pending code to commit around this, so watch for changes if you use it.

          -Neil

          On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Eric Mill <eric@...> wrote:

          Is this available through GovTrack APIs at all? You could download
          all of the roll XML files and load the bill IDs into a database, and
          search through it that way...

          -- Eric

          On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Jack <jangelo42@...> wrote:
          > I'm trying to create a list of all recorded votes for a particular bill.  Does anyone know of a simple way to do this?

          Neil Drumm
          http://delocalizedham.com
        • Eric Mill
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 23, 2010
            The XML data in /data/bills/111/ has better info on passage votes - in the actions list for a bill, there will be <vote> (or occasionally <vote-aux>) tags that have the passage and type of a vote in the XML in a normalized way. In the votes_download.xml API endpoint, the best you get for a result is a textual description.

            -- Eric

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 23, 2010
              I should note that that only applies to passage votes, not to procedural, cloture, or amendment votes  Here's the corresponding file for H. 1: