Re: [govtrack] svd-analysis.txt

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2010
      So generally, if there's no documentation on the wiki then I don't
      consider the file a part of the public API --- meaning, I may change the
      format at any time or get rid of it, etc. I'm happy to explain what's in
      the file, but this is just a warning that you shouldn't depend on it.

      The last column corresponds to the x coordinate on the political
      spectrum graph, on a scale from 0 to 1.

      The second column is the z-score of that value, looking only within the
      party of that member of congress (or for independents, looking at all
      members of congress). That is, it is the x-coordinate minus the party
      mean, divided by the standard deviation of the x-coordinates within the
      party. This isn't used for anything as far as I can remember --- it was
      something I played with when I was creating the human-readable ideology
      labels, which are now done differently (by percentiles).

      Best,

      - Josh Tauberer
      - CivicImpulse

      http://razor.occams.info