svd-analysis.txt

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2010
      Does anyone know the definition of the two numeric columns in this file? The PersonID and the text column is obvious, but the other two aren't, though I suspect one or both of them could be used to place a person on the generated image. Perhaps these are XY coords, but I can't tell.

      Thanks.
      jrw
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 20, 2010
        So generally, if there's no documentation on the wiki then I don't
        consider the file a part of the public API --- meaning, I may change the
        format at any time or get rid of it, etc. I'm happy to explain what's in
        the file, but this is just a warning that you shouldn't depend on it.

        The last column corresponds to the x coordinate on the political
        spectrum graph, on a scale from 0 to 1.

        The second column is the z-score of that value, looking only within the
        party of that member of congress (or for independents, looking at all
        members of congress). That is, it is the x-coordinate minus the party
        mean, divided by the standard deviation of the x-coordinates within the
        party. This isn't used for anything as far as I can remember --- it was
        something I played with when I was creating the human-readable ideology
        labels, which are now done differently (by percentiles).

        Best,

        - Josh Tauberer
        - CivicImpulse

        http://razor.occams.info