Re: [govtrack] Role attribute missing in committees.xml

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15 12:59 PM
      Hi, John.

      On 03/12/2010 05:11 PM, John wrote:
      > I'm just starting to play with the GovTrack data, and I noticed that
      > the committees table doesn't include a fully populated role
      > attribute. The attribute seems to exist for the committee Chair,
      > but not for other roles like "Ranking Member".

      It's a data error if that's missing, but not something I'm likely to fix
      in the near future (priorities priorities). (As always, anyone is
      welcome to try to fix it in my source code...)

      > The People.xml file includes committees and subcommittees for each
      > person in addition to a fully populated 'role' attribute, but it
      > doesn't include a committee id for joining to the committees table.

      Fixed, with a code attribute. (A dash separates a committee code from
      the subcommittee numeric id, for subcommittee assignments.)

      > Would it be reasonable to ask for a new xml file that contains
      > elements for next sessions and attributes for where(house & senate)
      > and datetime? Obviously I can create my own local file, but it would
      > be nice to have the source originate from GovTrack at some point in
      > time.

      Interestingly, I've just discovered that I must have deleted the code
      that generates those files... They seemed to have not been updated since
      2009. (Oops.) So... I'm deleting them.

      I'll have to return to this in the future.

      Josh
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20 12:50 PM
        Thank you Josh, that's very helpful. I'm not sure I'd be able to fix your source code, but if I can get a handle on my life at some point, I'll try to take a look.

        jrw