Role attribute missing in committees.xml

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2010
      I'm just starting to play with the GovTrack data, and I noticed that the committees table doesn't include a fully populated role attribute. The attribute seems to exist for the committee Chair, but not for other roles like "Ranking Member".

      The People.xml file includes committees and subcommittees for each person in addition to a fully populated 'role' attribute, but it doesn't include a committee id for joining to the committees table.

      Is it possible to either add the same Role value to the committees.xml file that is used in the People.xml file, or to add a 'committeeid' attribute to the people.xml file (this would be the id of the subcommittee if the element has a 'subcommittee' attribute, or the id of the committee.

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2010
        Hi, John.

        On 03/12/2010 05:11 PM, John wrote:
        > I'm just starting to play with the GovTrack data, and I noticed that
        > the committees table doesn't include a fully populated role
        > attribute. The attribute seems to exist for the committee Chair,
        > but not for other roles like "Ranking Member".

        It's a data error if that's missing, but not something I'm likely to fix
        in the near future (priorities priorities). (As always, anyone is
        welcome to try to fix it in my source code...)

        > The People.xml file includes committees and subcommittees for each
        > person in addition to a fully populated 'role' attribute, but it
        > doesn't include a committee id for joining to the committees table.

        Fixed, with a code attribute. (A dash separates a committee code from
        the subcommittee numeric id, for subcommittee assignments.)

        > Would it be reasonable to ask for a new xml file that contains
        > elements for next sessions and attributes for where(house & senate)
        > and datetime? Obviously I can create my own local file, but it would
        > be nice to have the source originate from GovTrack at some point in
        > time.

        Interestingly, I've just discovered that I must have deleted the code
        that generates those files... They seemed to have not been updated since
        2009. (Oops.) So... I'm deleting them.

        I'll have to return to this in the future.

        Josh
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2010
          Thank you Josh, that's very helpful. I'm not sure I'd be able to fix your source code, but if I can get a handle on my life at some point, I'll try to take a look.

          jrw