Re: Using GovTrack data? I want to promote it.

  • John Factorial
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2010
      Josh,

      http://www.newballot.org is using GovTrack data and loving it. We're just getting off the ground and have many improvements to make, but we're already sending over 200 votes to congress members in 5 states.

      John

      > If you've built any tools using GovTrack data, like Twitter streams,
      > mobile apps, new websites, etc., I'd like to list it either here:
      >
      > http://www.govtrack.us/tools.xpd
      >
      > or here
      >
      > http://www.govtrack.us/downstream.xpd
      >
      > If you've emailed me about it recently it wouldn't hurt to tell me about
      > it again so I don't lose track.
      >
      > Thanks,

      > - CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us
      >
      > http://razor.occams.info | www.govtrack.us | civicimpulse.com
      >
      > "Members of both sides are reminded not to use guests of the
      > House as props."

    • John Factorial
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hey Josh,

        OpenCongress has a "Hot Bills" section that highlights the most popular bills getting media attention today. Any idea how they're doing that with your data, if at all? It's not just "most viewed" on their site, they have a separate section for that. Just curious if there's some portion of your API that I have overlooked that might describe legislation popularity in some way.

        Unrelated heads-up: http://www.govtrack.us/downstream.xpd links to http://takecountryback.us/, which is a 404.

        Thanks!
        John
      • Andrew Ross
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
          John,

          The "Hot Bills" on OpenCongress are selected by one of our editorial staff.  They are not indicated as such in the Govtrack data.

          However, you can get that information from our API as described here: http://www.opencongress.org/api

          If you have any more questions, let me know.

          Thanks,
          Andy

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2010
            Nice! Thank you, Andy. -j

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2010
              On 01/28/2010 09:26 AM, John Factorial wrote:
              > http://www.newballot.org is using GovTrack data and loving it. We're just getting off the ground and have many improvements to make, but we're already sending over 200 votes to congress members in 5 states.

              Great. Keep the list posted with any changes. I've added a link to
              http://www.govtrack.us/downstream.xpd.

              Josh
            • John Factorial
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2010