GovTrack Insider launches

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
      GovTrack Insider Launches
      -------------------------

      www.govtrackinsider.com

      Today be­gins a new ex­per­i­ment in on­line jour­nal­ism and
      gov­ern­ment over­sight. GovTrackInsider.com is a spin-off of
      GovTrack.us that complements GovTrack with original and syndicated
      reporting of the U.S. Congress.

      After five years of run­ning GovTrack.​us, I saw a need to move be­yond
      data. As we've seen over at the OpenCongress.org blog, reporting is an
      important part of following the legislative process, staying ahead of
      the game, and understanding the ramifications of procedural events.
      GovTrackInsider.​com puts a focus on grass-roots reporting of the
      legislative process.

      GovTrack Insider has hired a small team of paid free­lance re­porters to
      cover con­gres­sion­al com­mit­tee meet­ings. This is the ear­li­est
      point in the leg­isla­tive pro­cess that we can ob­serve di­rect­ly, and
      it's going to help us get an inside look like we've never had before.
      We'll also be syndicating coverage from OpenCongress and elsewhere. In
      all of the articles we run, the focus will be on legislation and policy.
      We'll be leaving politics and gossip to the old media.

      In­sid­er is an on­line news­pa­per, but one with some un­usu­al pages.
      For ar­ti­cles on many top­ics you'll find on the right side a topic
      dash­board. There you can con­nect with other read­ers in a va­ri­ety of
      ways, such as a Q&A system, link submission, and a community notebook (a
      wiki).

      In time we'll be in­te­grat­ing In­sid­er with GovTrack.​us so that if
      you're track­ing a bill over on Gov­Track you'll get a no­tice
      when­ev­er it's men­tioned in an ar­ti­cle in GovTrack Insider.

      I hope you'll join us on this ex­per­i­ment. Happy read­ing.

      (GovTrack Insider was built with the help of Josh Sulkin (of
      FlyOnTime.us fame).)

      - CivicImpulse

      http://razor.occams.info
      http://www.civicimpulse.com

    • Tiffiniy Cheng
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
        Congratulations, Josh. This sounds great and I am looking forward to it.

        -Tiffiniy

        On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

        GovTrack Insider Launches