Re: [govtrack] Consolidating Multiple Equivalent Roll types?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 16, 2010
      Hey,

      Yes, I think normalizing the Type element would be a great idea.

      Once that's done, your second typeiness (I like that word) sounds like a
      good idea too. All of the types can be grouped into one of "passage",
      "on-amendment", "override", "motion", etc.

      If you have a comprehensive list of the types & pairings, I can put it
      to use.

      On 01/16/2010 10:57 AM, Ben Woosley wrote:

      > So I'm applying some logic to the rolls, with the expectation that roll
      > type being the key arbiter of meaning, i.e. what the roll means wrt the
      > bill/amendment it relates to.
      >
      > Here I'm finding that the roll types include a substantial array of
      > equivalent (but different) type strings. The best way to see this
      > immediately is to count the distinct roll types, then do the same with
      > downcased roll types. A substantial minority of the hundreds of types
      > are simply different casings of other types.
      >
      > In an effort to clean this up without losing information, I've been
      > trying to consolidate equivalent types. Here's an example pairing:
      >
      > These: ["Suspend Rules and Pass, As Amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND
      > PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as
      > Amended", "SUSPEND RULES AND PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend
      > the Rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS AS
      > AMENDED", "Suspend rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules and
      > Pass, As Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as
      > Amended", "On Motion To Suspend the Rules and Pass, As Amended", "On
      > motion to suspend the rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules
      > and Pass, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, As
      > Amended", "ON Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On
      > Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, Amended", "On Motion to Supend the
      > Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motions to Suspend the Rules and Pass,
      > as Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended", "On
      > Motion to Suspend Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Motion to Suspend the
      > Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended",
      > "Suspend the rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS,
      > AS AMENDED .", "Suspend the rules and pass, as amended"]
      >
      > Become: "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended"
      >
      > I have some 2-dozen such pairings so far. Aside from these sorts of
      > changes, I noticed that there are significant rolls, such as cloture
      > votes, hidden within the nondescript "On the Motion" roll type, though I
      > haven't attempted to unpack these yet.
      >
      > Would gov-track be interested in integrating this sort of consolidation
      > logic into its back-end? It seems it could be helpful to others.
      >
      > Also, I have interest in adding a second layer of "roll-typiness" to
      > rolls, for example indicating that all of the following: [
      > "On Passage", "Passage, Objections of the President Notwithstanding",
      > "On Agreeing to the Resolution", "On Agreeing to the Resolution, as
      > Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree", "On Motion to
      > Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the
      > Rules and Pass", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended"
      > ]
      >
      > Have to do with passing or overriding a veto on some non-amendment
      > something. Thoughts on this?
      >
      > -Ben

    • Ben Woosley
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2010
        Here's my first set, focused on passage. These are pretty cut-and-dried.

        "On Passage"
        ["On Passage", "On Passage of the Bill"]

        "Passage, Objections of the President Notwithstanding"
        ["Passage, Objections of the President Not Withstanding", "Passage, objections of the President Notwithstanding", "Passage, objections of the President notwithstanding", "Passage, Objections of the President Notwithstanding", "Passage, the Objections of the President Notwithstanding", "Passage, Objection of the President Notwithstanding", "On Overriding the Veto"]

        "On Agreeing to the Resolution"
        ["On the Resolution", "On Agreeing to the Resolution", "On the Concurrent Resolution", "On Agreeing to the resolution", "ON AGREEING TO THE RESOLUTION", "On the Joint Resolution"]

         "On Agreeing to the Resolution, as Amended"
        ["On Agreeing to the Resolution as Amended", "On agreeing to the resolution, as amended", "On Agreeing to the Resolution, as Amended", "On Agreeing to the Resolution, As Amended", "On Agreeing to the Resolution As Amended", "On Agreeing to the Resolution, as amended"]

        "On Agreeing to the Amendment"
        ["on agreeing to the amendment", "On the Amendment", "On agreeing to the amendment"]

        "On Agreeing to the Amendment, as Amended"
        ["On agreeing to the amendment, as amended", "On agreeing to the Amendment, as modified", "on agreeing to the amendment, as amended", "On agreeing to the Amendment, as amended", "On agreeing to the Amendment as modified"]

        "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree"
        ["Suspend the Rules and Agree", "Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree", "On motion to suspend the rules and agree", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND AGREE", "Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Resolution", "Suspend the rules and agree", "On Motion to Suspend Rules and Agree", "On Motion to Suspend the rules and Agree"]

        "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended"
        ["Supend the Rules and Agree, As Amended", "Suspend the rules and agree, as amended", "Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended", "Suspend the Rules and Agree, as amended", "On motion to suspend the rules and agree, as amended", "on Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended", "Suspend Rules and Agree, as Amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND AGREE AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree, As Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree, as Amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND AGREE, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree, as amended", "Suspend rules and agree, as amended", "On Motion to Suspend Rules and Agree, as Amended"]

        "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass"
        ["On motion to suspend the rules and pass", "Suspend the Rules and pass", "Supend the rules and pass", "Suspend the rules and pass", "On Motion to Suspend Rules and Pass", "On Motion to Suspend the rules and pass", "Suspend Rules and Pass", "Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass", "On motion to suspend rules and pass", "Suspend the Rules and Pass", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass"]

        "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended"
        ["Suspend Rules and Pass, As Amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "SUSPEND RULES AND PASS, AS AMENDED", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS AS AMENDED", "Suspend rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules and Pass, As Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motion To Suspend the Rules and Pass, As Amended", "On motion to suspend the rules and pass, as amended", "Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, As Amended", "ON Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, Amended", "On Motion to Supend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On Motions to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "On motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended", "On Motion to Suspend Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Motion to Suspend the Rules and Pass, as Amended", "Suspend the Rules and Pass, as amended", "Suspend the rules and Pass, as amended", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS, AS AMENDED .", "Suspend the rules and pass, as amended"]

        Here's a second set, less solidly grouped, and without a coherent "winner" picked out.

                #  when "Concur in the Senate Amendment", "On Agreeing to the Senate Amendment", "On Motion to Concur in the Senate Amendment", "On Motion to Concur in Senate Amendments", "On Agreeing to the Senate Amendments", "On Motion to Agree to Senate Amendments", "On Motion to Agree to the Senate Amendment", "Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Senate Amendments", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Senate Amendment", "Motion to agree to the Senate Amendment", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to Senate Amendment", "On agreeing to the Senate amendments", "On motion to agree to Senate Amendment", "CONCUR IN SENATE AMENDMENT", "Agree to Senate Amendment", "AGREE TO SENATE AMENDMENT", "Agree to Senate Amendments",
                 #  when "Suspend the Rules and Agree to Senate Amendments", "Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Senate Amendment", "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to Senate Amendments", "Suspend Rules and Agree to Senate Amendments", "SUSPEND THE RULES AND AGREE TO SENATE AMENDMENTS", "Suspend the rules and Agree to Senate Amendment", "Suspend the Rules and Concur in the Senate Amendment", "Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Senate Amendments", "Suspend the Rules and concur in the Senate Amendment", "Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to Senate Amendments",  "On Motion to Suspend the Rules and Agree to the Senate Amendments", "Suspend the rules and agree to Senate amendments",
                 #  when "On agreeing to the Amendments En Bloc", "On agreeing to the Amendments en bloc", "ON AGREEING TO THE AMENDMENTS EN BLOC", "On agreeing to the amendments en bloc",
                 #  when "On Agreeing to the Amendments en bloc, as modified", "On agreeing to the Amendments en bloc, as modified",
                 #
                 #  when "On motion that the Committee Rise", "On Motion that the Committee Rise", "MOTION TO RISE AND REPORT", "ON MOTION THAT THE COMMITTEE RISE AND REPORT", "on motion to rise", "motion to rise", "On Motion to Rise", "ON MOTION TO RISE", "On Motion That Committee Rise", "On Motion That The Committee Rise", "ON MOTION TO RISE AND REPORT",
                 #
                 #  when "On the Cloture Motion", "On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed",
                 #  when "ON MOTION TO TABLE", "On Motion to Table", "On Motion to Table the Resolution", "MOTION TO TABLE", "On motion to table",
                 #  when "On Motion to Table the Motion to Reconsider", "TABLE THE MOTION TO RECONSIDER", "On the Motion to Table the Motion to Reconsider", "Table the Motion to Reconsider", "On motion to table the motion to reconsider", "table motion to reconsider", "TABLE MOTION TO RECONSIDER", "ON MOTION TO TABLE THEMOTION TO RECONSIDER", "Table motion to reconsider", "Table Motion to Reconsider", "On the Motion to Table"
                 #  when "Table appeal of the ruling of the chair", "Table Appeal from the Ruling of the Chair", "Table Appeal of the Ruling of the Chair", "Table motion to appeal the ruling of the Chair", "table the appeal of the ruling of the chair", "Table the Appeal of the Ruling of the Chair", "TABLE THE APPEAL OF THE RULING OF THE CHAIR", "Table the appeal of the ruling of the Chair", "On Motion to Table Appeal of the Ruling of the Chair", "On Motion to Table the Appeal of the Ruling of the Chair", "table appeal of the ruling of the Chair",
                 #
                 #  when "On Motion to Recommit", "On Motion to Recommit Conference Report", "On motion to recommit the Conference Report", "Motion to Recommit the Conference Report", "On Motion to Recommit the Conference Report", "MOTION TO RECOMMIT CONFERENCE REPORT", "MOTION TO RECOMMIT THECONFERENCE REPORT", "ON MOTION TO RECOMMIT THE CONFERENCE REPORT", "On the Motion to Recommit",
                 #  when "Motion to Recommit Conference Report with Instructions", "Recommit Conference Report With Instructions", "Recommit the Conference Report With Instructions", "Recommit the Conference Report with instructions", "On Motion to Recommit the Conference Report with Instructions", "On Motion to Recommit Conference Report With Instructions", "Recommit Conference Report with Instructions", "On Motion to Recommit Conference Report with Instructions", "Recommit the Conference Report with Instructions", "Motion to recommit Conference Report with instructions", "On Motion to Recommit with Instructions", "RECOMMIT CONFERENCE REPORT WITH INSTRUCTIONS", "Consideration of Motion to Recommit With Instructions", "RECOMMIT WITH INSTRUCTIONS", "Recommit conference report with instructions", "On Motion to Recommit With Instructions",
                 #  when "Motion to instruct conferees", "On motion to instruct conferees", "motion to instruct conferees", "ON MOTION TO INSTRUCT CONFEREES", "Motion to Instruct Conferees", "On Motion to Instruct Conferees", "MOTION TO INSTRUCT CONFEREES",

        Even with these, over 200 additional unique types remain.  More are hidden away in the Question under roll types such as "On the Motion", "On the Motion to Proceed"

        -Ben