people.xml format change

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2009
      Hi, all.

      I'm making a change to the people.xml files on GovTrack. Previously, the
      role start and end dates were January 1 of the start year and December
      31 of the last full calendar year of the Congress. This was an early
      oversight that I have wanted to fix for a very long time: sessions of
      Congress don't start so regularly. Usually they start on January 4th-ish
      and end two January 3rds later.

      Just to clarify terminology, what GovTrack calls a session is really a
      "Congress". What people call a "session" are sort of terms within each
      Congress. These days there are two per Congress, one for each year.
      Early in the nation's history there were three per two-year session.

      A list of start and end dates, from a page on the House Clerk website,
      is here:
      http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/sessions.tsv

      You can use that to interpret the people.xml start and end dates, as
      opposed to numerical trickery that was possible in the past and now will
      not work.

      Also- Many cases of district="0" were sloppy recording of "I don't
      know", in addition to district="-1" which also means "I don't know".
      I've got through all of the zeros and the ones that are left are really
      At Large reps. The zeros that were "I don't know" are now -1s.

      - CivicImpulse

      http://razor.occams.info
      http://www.civicimpulse.com