Re: Votes don't have all 435/441 House members

  • stoub
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
      Understood, but why isn't this categorized as "Not Voting" along with the others that haven't voted?

      (And FYI that my math was wrong on Roll 968; Pelosi is the only one that isn't reported in both cases.
      --SET

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Derek Willis <dwillis@...> wrote:

      > The speaker of the house votes at his or her discretion. When Pelosi
      > does not vote, the house simply ignores it. She typically votes only
      > on questions of procedural or political significance.
      >
      > Derek
      >

      > On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:08 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I was looking at a few recent votes and didn't see Pelosi listed
      > > anywhere, even in the Not Voting category.
      > >
      > > The issue seems to be upstream: I can't find Pelosi on the Clerk's
      > > site:
      > >
      > > http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll966.xml
      > > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-966
      > > Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to 440 which makes sense.
      > >
      > > On this one, Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to only 433.
      > > http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll968.xml
      > > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-968
      > >
      > > I was assuming that:
      > > 1. There are no current House vacancies
      > > 2. All votes should add up to either 435 (if delegates from DC,
      > > Guam, etc. don't vote) or 441 (if the delegates from DC, Guam, etc.
      > > do vote). I can't think of any procedural reason why Pelosi wouldn't
      > > be listed as Not Voting.
      > >
      > > Any ideas on where to head next in understanding (and resolving)
      > > this issue?

    • Derek Willis
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
        Essentially, because of custom and tradition. The others' discretion in voting is not a recognized tradition as is the Speaker. Data-wise, it's not a hard problem to solve; if there's no vote displayed, she didn't vote.

        On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@...> wrote:

        Understood, but why isn't this categorized as "Not Voting" along with the others that haven't voted?

        (And FYI that my math was wrong on Roll 968; Pelosi is the only one that isn't reported in both cases.
        --SET

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Derek Willis <dwillis@... > wrote:

        > The speaker of the house votes at his or her discretion. When Pelosi
        > does not vote, the house simply ignores it. She typically votes only
        > on questions of procedural or political significance.
        >
        > Derek
        >

        > On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:08 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@.. .> wrote:
        >
        > > I was looking at a few recent votes and didn't see Pelosi listed
        > > anywhere, even in the Not Voting category.
        > >
        > > The issue seems to be upstream: I can't find Pelosi on the Clerk's
        > > site:
        > >
        > > http://clerk.house.gov/ evs/2009/ roll966.xml
        > > http://www.govtrack .us/congress/ vote.xpd? vote=h2009- 966
        > > Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to 440 which makes sense.
        > >
        > > On this one, Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to only 433.
        > > http://clerk.house.gov/ evs/2009/ roll968.xml
        > > http://www.govtrack .us/congress/ vote.xpd? vote=h2009- 968
        > >
        > > I was assuming that:
        > > 1. There are no current House vacancies
        > > 2. All votes should add up to either 435 (if delegates from DC,
        > > Guam, etc. don't vote) or 441 (if the delegates from DC, Guam, etc.
        > > do vote). I can't think of any procedural reason why Pelosi wouldn't
        > > be listed as Not Voting.
        > >
        > > Any ideas on where to head next in understanding (and resolving)
        > > this issue?

      • stoub
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
          Okey-doke. Thanks, Derek!