Votes don't have all 435/441 House members

  • stoub
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
      I was looking at a few recent votes and didn't see Pelosi listed anywhere, even in the Not Voting category.

      The issue seems to be upstream: I can't find Pelosi on the Clerk's site:

      http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll966.xml
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-966
      Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to 440 which makes sense.

      On this one, Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to only 433.
      http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll968.xml
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-968

      I was assuming that:
      1. There are no current House vacancies
      2. All votes should add up to either 435 (if delegates from DC, Guam, etc. don't vote) or 441 (if the delegates from DC, Guam, etc. do vote). I can't think of any procedural reason why Pelosi wouldn't be listed as Not Voting.

      Any ideas on where to head next in understanding (and resolving) this issue?
    • Derek Willis

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
          Understood, but why isn't this categorized as "Not Voting" along with the others that haven't voted?

          (And FYI that my math was wrong on Roll 968; Pelosi is the only one that isn't reported in both cases.
          --SET

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Derek Willis <dwillis@...> wrote:

          > The speaker of the house votes at his or her discretion. When Pelosi
          > does not vote, the house simply ignores it. She typically votes only
          > on questions of procedural or political significance.
          >
          > Derek
          >

          > On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:08 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I was looking at a few recent votes and didn't see Pelosi listed
          > > anywhere, even in the Not Voting category.
          > >
          > > The issue seems to be upstream: I can't find Pelosi on the Clerk's
          > > site:
          > >
          > > http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll966.xml
          > > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-966
          > > Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to 440 which makes sense.
          > >
          > > On this one, Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to only 433.
          > > http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll968.xml
          > > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-968
          > >
          > > I was assuming that:
          > > 1. There are no current House vacancies
          > > 2. All votes should add up to either 435 (if delegates from DC,
          > > Guam, etc. don't vote) or 441 (if the delegates from DC, Guam, etc.
          > > do vote). I can't think of any procedural reason why Pelosi wouldn't
          > > be listed as Not Voting.
          > >
          > > Any ideas on where to head next in understanding (and resolving)
          > > this issue?

        • Derek Willis
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
            Essentially, because of custom and tradition. The others' discretion in voting is not a recognized tradition as is the Speaker. Data-wise, it's not a hard problem to solve; if there's no vote displayed, she didn't vote.

            On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:19 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@...> wrote:

            Understood, but why isn't this categorized as "Not Voting" along with the others that haven't voted?

            (And FYI that my math was wrong on Roll 968; Pelosi is the only one that isn't reported in both cases.
            --SET

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Derek Willis <dwillis@... > wrote:

            > The speaker of the house votes at his or her discretion. When Pelosi
            > does not vote, the house simply ignores it. She typically votes only
            > on questions of procedural or political significance.
            >
            > Derek
            >

            > On Dec 17, 2009, at 5:08 PM, "stoub" <govtrack@.. .> wrote:
            >
            > > I was looking at a few recent votes and didn't see Pelosi listed
            > > anywhere, even in the Not Voting category.
            > >
            > > The issue seems to be upstream: I can't find Pelosi on the Clerk's
            > > site:
            > >
            > > http://clerk.house.gov/ evs/2009/ roll966.xml
            > > http://www.govtrack .us/congress/ vote.xpd? vote=h2009- 966
            > > Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to 440 which makes sense.
            > >
            > > On this one, Ayes + Noes + NV adds up to only 433.
            > > http://clerk.house.gov/ evs/2009/ roll968.xml
            > > http://www.govtrack .us/congress/ vote.xpd? vote=h2009- 968
            > >
            > > I was assuming that:
            > > 1. There are no current House vacancies
            > > 2. All votes should add up to either 435 (if delegates from DC,
            > > Guam, etc. don't vote) or 441 (if the delegates from DC, Guam, etc.
            > > do vote). I can't think of any procedural reason why Pelosi wouldn't
            > > be listed as Not Voting.
            > >
            > > Any ideas on where to head next in understanding (and resolving)
            > > this issue?

          • stoub
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 17, 2009
              Okey-doke. Thanks, Derek!