Re: [govtrack] Re: question about bill XML files

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
      In my experience, if a bill moves past being reported it moves very fast
      to being voted on.

      Here are some statistics for the current congress. Out of the 338 bills
      that were reported out of committee and then were subsequently voted on
      and for which my data files have the information easily encoded, 29 (8%)
      had no intervening action and 276 (81%) had no action after being
      reported until 24 hours before the vote. That leaves around 10%, which
      is still a fair number. In those cases the actions are still within two
      days of the vote.

      Because of the time delay of information getting onto THOMAS, and then
      into GovTrack, a two-day delay is just barely enough time for it to
      matter. But, it could matter, so I'll put this on my to-do list.