Re: question about bill XML files

  • Jesus Christ
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
      Are there any plans for adding a state code that signifies debate has ended and a call for a vote has been made? There seems to be a gap between state codes REPORTED and PASS_OVER.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
        In my experience, if a bill moves past being reported it moves very fast
        to being voted on.

        Here are some statistics for the current congress. Out of the 338 bills
        that were reported out of committee and then were subsequently voted on
        and for which my data files have the information easily encoded, 29 (8%)
        had no intervening action and 276 (81%) had no action after being
        reported until 24 hours before the vote. That leaves around 10%, which
        is still a fair number. In those cases the actions are still within two
        days of the vote.

        Because of the time delay of information getting onto THOMAS, and then
        into GovTrack, a two-day delay is just barely enough time for it to
        matter. But, it could matter, so I'll put this on my to-do list.