Re: [govtrack] question about bill XML files

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2009
      On 11/17/2009 10:33 PM, Jesus Christ wrote:
      > 1. When a<status> element's child node is<vote> it has a "where"
      > attribute. In this case, isn't the "where" attribute always going to
      > be the same value as the "type" attribute of the root<bill> node?

      It'll be the same as the first character of the type attribute. Don't
      forget resolutions ("hr", "hc", "hj").

      > 2. When the<status> element's child node is<vote2>, won't the
      > "result" attribute value always be "fail"? I'm thinking<vote2
      > result='pass'> would always be a<topresident> element instead,
      > since the bill passed through congress.

      For bills, there is a delay. It may go to conference committee before
      the next step. Generally it should eventually make it to "topresident"
      thought. But "vote2" will also occur for joint and concurrent
      resolutions which (normally) don't go on to the president.

      FYI for everyone, there is a new experimental "state" node at the top
      there that is going to eventually replace "status". "state" is more
      precise. There are some bugs that need to be fixed with it still,
      though. I just added some preliminary docs here:
      http://wiki.govtrack.us/index.php?title=Bill_XML

    • Jesus Christ
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
        Are there any plans for adding a state code that signifies debate has ended and a call for a vote has been made? There seems to be a gap between state codes REPORTED and PASS_OVER.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
          In my experience, if a bill moves past being reported it moves very fast
          to being voted on.

          Here are some statistics for the current congress. Out of the 338 bills
          that were reported out of committee and then were subsequently voted on
          and for which my data files have the information easily encoded, 29 (8%)
          had no intervening action and 276 (81%) had no action after being
          reported until 24 hours before the vote. That leaves around 10%, which
          is still a fair number. In those cases the actions are still within two
          days of the vote.

          Because of the time delay of information getting onto THOMAS, and then
          into GovTrack, a two-day delay is just barely enough time for it to
          matter. But, it could matter, so I'll put this on my to-do list.