question about bill XML files

  • Jesus Christ
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2009
      Hello,

      I'm reading the bill XML file wiki at http://wiki.govtrack.us/index.php?title=Bill_XML and I have two questions:

      2. When the <status> element's child node is <vote2>, won't the "result" attribute value always be "fail"? I'm thinking <vote2 result='pass'> would always be a <topresident> element instead, since the bill passed through congress.

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2009
        On 11/17/2009 10:33 PM, Jesus Christ wrote:
        > 1. When a<status> element's child node is<vote> it has a "where"
        > attribute. In this case, isn't the "where" attribute always going to
        > be the same value as the "type" attribute of the root<bill> node?

        It'll be the same as the first character of the type attribute. Don't
        forget resolutions ("hr", "hc", "hj").

        > 2. When the<status> element's child node is<vote2>, won't the
        > "result" attribute value always be "fail"? I'm thinking<vote2
        > result='pass'> would always be a<topresident> element instead,
        > since the bill passed through congress.

        For bills, there is a delay. It may go to conference committee before
        the next step. Generally it should eventually make it to "topresident"
        thought. But "vote2" will also occur for joint and concurrent
        resolutions which (normally) don't go on to the president.

        FYI for everyone, there is a new experimental "state" node at the top
        there that is going to eventually replace "status". "state" is more
        precise. There are some bugs that need to be fixed with it still,
        though. I just added some preliminary docs here:

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
          Are there any plans for adding a state code that signifies debate has ended and a call for a vote has been made? There seems to be a gap between state codes REPORTED and PASS_OVER.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
            In my experience, if a bill moves past being reported it moves very fast
            to being voted on.

            Here are some statistics for the current congress. Out of the 338 bills
            that were reported out of committee and then were subsequently voted on
            and for which my data files have the information easily encoded, 29 (8%)
            had no intervening action and 276 (81%) had no action after being
            reported until 24 hours before the vote. That leaves around 10%, which
            is still a fair number. In those cases the actions are still within two
            days of the vote.

            Because of the time delay of information getting onto THOMAS, and then
            into GovTrack, a two-day delay is just barely enough time for it to
            matter. But, it could matter, so I'll put this on my to-do list.