Re: [govtrack] Fixed URLs for House Bills

  • Harvey S. Frey
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
      Derek:

          Like the other suggestions, it is only the MAIN link which is constant.

      If you drill down to look at the actual text, you get a temporary link, eg: in the example you gave:

      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:3:./temp/~c110jh8ncf::

          These links are useless if you want to include a link to a specific text section from your own site.

      Harvey

      Derek Willis wrote:

      Thomas created a new system for permanent bill "handlers" earlier this year:

      an example:

      http://hdl.loc. gov/loc.uscongre ss/legislation. 110s254

      Details at http://thomas. loc.gov/home/ handles/help. html

      On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Jeff Fischer<JeffreyMFischer@ hotmail.com> wrote:

      > Harvey/anyone,
      >
      >    If you acquired the answer to this question, I'd appreciate the
      > knowledge sharing.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Jeff
      >

      > ____________ _________ _________ __
      > To: govtrack@yahoogroup s.com
      > From: hsfrey@harp. org
      > Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:31:15 -0700
      > Subject: [govtrack] Fixed URLs for House Bills
      >

      > Josh et al:
      >
      >     Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
      > available with fixed URLs?
      >
      >     I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier
      > to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and
      > require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to
      > them directly from my improved TOC page.
      >
      >     I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did
      > was blow my browser.
      >
      >     The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly,
      > and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an
      > alternative.
      >
      >  Harvey
      > ============ =========
      > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
      > hsfrey@harp. org   www.harp.org
      > ============ ========= =
      > I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
      > ============ ========= =

      Derek Willis
      dwillis@gmail. com

      --
      =============================
      Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/111/h/h3200.html (latest version)

        You'll have to browse this list to see what particular versions are also
        available:

        On 08/07/2009 05:57 PM, Harvey S. Frey wrote:

        > Hi Josh:
        >
        > I found a reference to HR3200 on your data.xpd page, but I was unable to
        > find links to the actual text. If you mirror the Thomas site and have
        > non-expiring links to the text of bills, that would be wonderful! (I
        > typed "h.r. 3200" into the Bill Search form, and got an internal error
        > message.)
        >
        > If not, maybe someone could suggest a good program which will download
        > all the links of a given site. I did that once (manually) with the
        > PATRIOT Act (adding hyperlinks to all the obscure citations), and just
        > hosted it off my own site.
        >
        > Harvey
        >

        > Josh Tauberer wrote:
        >> Hey, Harvey.
        >>

        >>> Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
        >>> available with fixed URLs?
        >>>

        >> From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far
        >> as I've seen.
        >>
        >> See govtrack's developer section and the "data" directory for my copy of
        >> the HTML found on THOMAS.

      • Harvey S. Frey
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
          Josh:

              Thanks. At least all the text is there in one file.

              In order to satisfy my desire to have links direct to specific sections, I'd still have to write a perl program to try to add hyperlinks, and then host it myself.

          Harvey

          http://razor. occams.info

          On 08/07/2009 05:57 PM, Harvey S. Frey wrote:

          > Hi Josh:
          >
          > I found a reference to HR3200 on your data.xpd page, but I was unable to
          > find links to the actual text. If you mirror the Thomas site and have
          > non-expiring links to the text of bills, that would be wonderful! (I
          > typed "h.r. 3200" into the Bill Search form, and got an internal error
          > message.)
          >
          > If not, maybe someone could suggest a good program which will download
          > all the links of a given site. I did that once (manually) with the
          > PATRIOT Act (adding hyperlinks to all the obscure citations), and just
          > hosted it off my own site.
          >
          > Harvey
          >

          > Josh Tauberer wrote:
          >> Hey, Harvey.
          >>

          >>> Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
          >>> available with fixed URLs?
          >>>

          >> From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far
          >> as I've seen.
          >>
          >> See govtrack's developer section and the "data" directory for my copy of
          >> the HTML found on THOMAS.

          Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
          hsfrey@...  www.harp.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
            Well if you come up with a new tool I'd be happy to host it.

            Have you see the bill text view on GovTrack since January-ish? It has
            some new permalinking ability.