Fixed URLs for House Bills

  • Harvey S. Frey
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2009
      Josh et al:

          Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are available with fixed URLs?

          I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to them directly from my improved TOC page.

          I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did was blow my browser.

          The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly, and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an alternative.

       Harvey
      =====================
      Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
      hsfrey@...   www.harp.org
      ======================
      I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
      ======================

    • potluckgabe
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2009
        Harvey,

        This format works for me for linking to bills on Thomas

        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR861:
        http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s309:

        So the d is followed by the session of congress and the bill number is between the colons.

        -Gabe

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey S. Frey" <hsfrey@...> wrote:

        > Josh et al:
        >
        > Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are available with fixed URLs?
        >
        > I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to them directly from my improved TOC page.
        >
        > I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did was blow my browser.
        >
        > The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly, and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an alternative.
        >
        > Harvey
        > =====================
        > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
        > hsfrey@... www.harp.org
        > ======================
        > I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
        > ======================

      • Jeff Fischer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2009
          Harvey/anyone,

             If you acquired the answer to this question, I'd appreciate the knowledge sharing.

          Thanks,
          Jeff

          To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
          From: hsfrey@...
          Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:31:15 -0700
          Subject: [govtrack] Fixed URLs for House Bills

          Josh et al:

              Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are available with fixed URLs?

              I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to them directly from my improved TOC page.

              I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did was blow my browser.

              The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly, and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an alternative.

           Harvey
          ============ =========
          Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
          hsfrey@harp. org   www.harp.org
          ============ ========= =
          I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
          ============ ========= =

        • Derek Willis
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
            Thomas created a new system for permanent bill "handlers" earlier this year:

            an example:

            http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.110s254

            Details at http://thomas.loc.gov/home/handles/help.html

            On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Jeff Fischer<JeffreyMFischer@...> wrote:

            > Harvey/anyone,
            >
            >    If you acquired the answer to this question, I'd appreciate the
            > knowledge sharing.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jeff
            >

            > ________________________________
            > To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
            > From: hsfrey@...
            > Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:31:15 -0700
            > Subject: [govtrack] Fixed URLs for House Bills
            >

            > Josh et al:
            >
            >     Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
            > available with fixed URLs?
            >
            >     I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier
            > to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and
            > require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to
            > them directly from my improved TOC page.
            >
            >     I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did
            > was blow my browser.
            >
            >     The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly,
            > and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an
            > alternative.
            >
            >  Harvey
            > =====================
            > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
            > hsfrey@...   www.harp.org
            > ======================
            > I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
            > ======================

            Derek Willis
            dwillis@...
          • Harvey S. Frey
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
              Thanks Gabe:

                  Yes, that works to always get to the Main page for the bill, which will always have valid current links to the actual text sections, but THOSE links expire in a few minutes, wherever you link to them from, and you have to re-link to them.

                  Of course, you can download the entire massive XML file (the link is clear on the right),
              but it's big and slow, and if you try to massage it, really messy. The internal IDs are non-mnemonic 32 character hex codes, though all that means is a lot more work to deal with it. Every line in the bill takes 4-5 lines in the XML file. Ugh!

              Harvey

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                Hey, Harvey.

                > Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                > available with fixed URLs?

                From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far
                as I've seen.

                See govtrack's developer section and the "data" directory for my copy of
                the HTML found on THOMAS.

              • Harvey S. Frey
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                  Hi Josh:

                      I found a reference to HR3200 on your data.xpd page, but I was unable to find links to the actual text. If you mirror the Thomas site and have non-expiring links to the text of bills, that would be wonderful! (I typed "h.r. 3200" into the Bill Search form, and got an internal error message.)

                      If not, maybe someone could suggest a good program which will download all the links of a given site. I did that once (manually) with the PATRIOT Act (adding hyperlinks to all the obscure citations), and just hosted it off my own site.

                  Harvey

                  Josh Tauberer wrote:
                  Hey, Harvey.

                  Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                  available with fixed URLs?

                   From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far

                      mailto:govtrack-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:govtrack-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                    The biggest downside for XML is that not all bills are drafted in XML,
                    and some of the most important bills have been among the ones drafted in
                    their legacy system (the raw files for which are held hostage for
                    $17,000). Congress has made good progress getting to XML, but it's not 100%.

                    On 08/07/2009 02:32 PM, Harvey S. Frey wrote:

                    > Thanks Gabe:
                    >
                    > Yes, that works to always get to the Main page for the bill, which will
                    > always have valid current links to the actual text sections, but THOSE
                    > links expire in a few minutes, wherever you link to them from, and you
                    > have to re-link to them.
                    >
                    > Of course, you can download the entire massive XML file (the link is
                    > clear on the right),
                    > but it's big and slow, and if you try to massage it, really messy. The
                    > internal IDs are non-mnemonic 32 character hex codes, though all that
                    > means is a lot more work to deal with it. Every line in the bill takes
                    > 4-5 lines in the XML file. Ugh!
                    >
                    > Harvey
                    >
                    > potluckgabe wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Harvey,
                    >>
                    >> This format works for me for linking to bills on Thomas
                    >>
                    >> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR861:
                    >> <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR861:>
                    >> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s309:
                    >> <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s309:>
                    >>
                    >> So the d is followed by the session of congress and the bill number is
                    >> between the colons.
                    >>
                    >> -Gabe
                    >>
                    >> --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com <mailto:govtrack%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    >> "Harvey S. Frey" <hsfrey@...> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Josh et al:
                    >> >
                    >> > Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                    >> available with fixed URLs?
                    >> >
                    >> > I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit
                    >> easier to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few
                    >> minutes, and require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search,
                    >> so I can't link to them directly from my improved TOC page.
                    >> >
                    >> > I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did
                    >> was blow my browser.
                    >> >
                    >> > The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user
                    >> friendly, and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if
                    >> there's an alternative.
                    >> >
                    >> > Harvey
                    >> > =====================
                    >> > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                    >> > hsfrey@... www.harp.org
                    >> > ======================
                    >> > I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
                    >> > ======================

                  • Harvey S. Frey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                      Derek:

                          Like the other suggestions, it is only the MAIN link which is constant.

                      If you drill down to look at the actual text, you get a temporary link, eg: in the example you gave:

                      http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:3:./temp/~c110jh8ncf::

                          These links are useless if you want to include a link to a specific text section from your own site.

                      Harvey

                      On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Jeff Fischer<JeffreyMFischer@ hotmail.com> wrote:

                      > Harvey/anyone,
                      >
                      >    If you acquired the answer to this question, I'd appreciate the
                      > knowledge sharing.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Jeff
                      >

                      > ____________ _________ _________ __
                      > To: govtrack@yahoogroup s.com
                      > From: hsfrey@harp. org
                      > Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:31:15 -0700
                      > Subject: [govtrack] Fixed URLs for House Bills
                      >

                      > Josh et al:
                      >
                      >     Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                      > available with fixed URLs?
                      >
                      >     I'd like to massage the main table of contents to make it a bit easier
                      > to use, but the search type URLs at Thomas expire after a few minutes, and
                      > require you to go back to Thomas to refresh the search, so I can't link to
                      > them directly from my improved TOC page.
                      >
                      >     I tried to see what Thomas' "XML display" was like, but all that did
                      > was blow my browser.
                      >
                      >     The extant text and PDF versions are obviously not at all user friendly,
                      > and I'd like to avoid having to convert them to HTML, if there's an
                      > alternative.
                      >
                      >  Harvey
                      > ============ =========
                      > Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                      > hsfrey@harp. org   www.harp.org
                      > ============ ========= =
                      > I don't want insurance - I want Health Care!
                      > ============ ========= =

                      Derek Willis
                      dwillis@gmail. com

                      --
                      =============================
                      Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/111/h/h3200.html (latest version)

                        You'll have to browse this list to see what particular versions are also
                        available:

                        On 08/07/2009 05:57 PM, Harvey S. Frey wrote:

                        > Hi Josh:
                        >
                        > I found a reference to HR3200 on your data.xpd page, but I was unable to
                        > find links to the actual text. If you mirror the Thomas site and have
                        > non-expiring links to the text of bills, that would be wonderful! (I
                        > typed "h.r. 3200" into the Bill Search form, and got an internal error
                        > message.)
                        >
                        > If not, maybe someone could suggest a good program which will download
                        > all the links of a given site. I did that once (manually) with the
                        > PATRIOT Act (adding hyperlinks to all the obscure citations), and just
                        > hosted it off my own site.
                        >
                        > Harvey
                        >

                        > Josh Tauberer wrote:
                        >> Hey, Harvey.
                        >>

                        >>> Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                        >>> available with fixed URLs?
                        >>>

                        >> From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far
                        >> as I've seen.
                        >>
                        >> See govtrack's developer section and the "data" directory for my copy of
                        >> the HTML found on THOMAS.

                      • Harvey S. Frey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                          Josh:

                              Thanks. At least all the text is there in one file.

                              In order to satisfy my desire to have links direct to specific sections, I'd still have to write a perl program to try to add hyperlinks, and then host it myself.

                          Harvey

                          http://razor. occams.info

                          On 08/07/2009 05:57 PM, Harvey S. Frey wrote:

                          > Hi Josh:
                          >
                          > I found a reference to HR3200 on your data.xpd page, but I was unable to
                          > find links to the actual text. If you mirror the Thomas site and have
                          > non-expiring links to the text of bills, that would be wonderful! (I
                          > typed "h.r. 3200" into the Bill Search form, and got an internal error
                          > message.)
                          >
                          > If not, maybe someone could suggest a good program which will download
                          > all the links of a given site. I did that once (manually) with the
                          > PATRIOT Act (adding hyperlinks to all the obscure citations), and just
                          > hosted it off my own site.
                          >
                          > Harvey
                          >

                          > Josh Tauberer wrote:
                          >> Hey, Harvey.
                          >>

                          >>> Is there someplace that HTML version of house bills (eg: HR3200) are
                          >>> available with fixed URLs?
                          >>>

                          >> From the government or from GovTrack? From the government, not as far
                          >> as I've seen.
                          >>
                          >> See govtrack's developer section and the "data" directory for my copy of
                          >> the HTML found on THOMAS.

                          Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
                          hsfrey@...  www.harp.org
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 7, 2009
                            Well if you come up with a new tool I'd be happy to host it.

                            Have you see the bill text view on GovTrack since January-ish? It has
                            some new permalinking ability.