Re: [govtrack] Facebook App

  • Seth Woodworth
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
      This looks like a fun app, and I would be happy to add it to my facebook.

      My only hesitation is that it pulls a *LOT* of user data, far more than it seems to need:

      "Allowing Laws i Like access will let it pull your profile information, photos, your friends' info, and other content that it requires to work."

      Any chance you could dial down the user data required?

      --Seth Woodworth

      On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

      Hey, Chris. Thanks for posting an announcement here.

      The app is very well done, esp for two days of work.

      I've added a link on GovTrack along with a link to the other Facebook
      app that uses GovTrack data, RepresentedBy, to a revised Tools page:

      http://www.govtrack.us/tools.xpd

      On 06/12/2009 11:48 PM, chrispoliquin@... wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I recently created a Facebook application that relies on the GovTrack API. It allows people to search for bills, vote on them, post them to their walls, and see what their friends have voted on.
      >
      > The application is called Laws i Like and can be accessed at:
      > http://lawsilike.appspot.com/
      >
      > It is hosted on Google App Engine and uses the Google Datastore for saving user data.
      >
      > I've only been working on it for two days and it's my first Facebook App, so bugs are still very likely. If you try it out and something goes wrong send me an email. Also, let me know if you have suggestions for improvements.
      >
      > - Chris

    • Chris Poliquin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2009
        Seth,

        Thank you for brining this to my attention!  Since I'm the developer I don't see these warnings when I go to use the app.
        Currently, I only store your user id (the number at the end of the url of your profile page) and votes in the google database.  I also access your political affiliation from your profile when you view the 'Friends Votes' page.

        I will be working on the app more later this week and next and will look into how to change this warning so that it accurately reflects the information the application uses.

        Best Regards,
        Chris