Re: [govtrack] inconsistent data around Rep. Donna Christian-Green

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
      Ah!

      I've already fixed this problem at some point in the past, fortunately.
      The ids appear in the repstats files because they were not updated
      whenever I fixed the problem because I discontinued writing those files.
      Hopefully no other files, and especially no primary data files, have the
      mistaken ID.

      My solution is to delete those repstats files. Those statistics are no
      longer supported.

      On 05/31/2009 06:23 PM, Ilan Rabinovitch wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I noticed today that the ids and data for Rep. Donna Christensen (aka
      > Donna Christian-Green ?) appears to be inconsistent, and thought the
      > list might be interested in knowing about it.
      >
      > Rep Christensen (US Virgin Islands Delegate) appears to have 2 govtrack
      > ids depending on which sessions and data files are looked at. I'm
      > guessing this is because some of the data around the 109th session has
      > her listed as Donna Christian-Green where as other sessions appear to
      > show Donna M. Christensenan. OpenCongress also suggests a 3rd name
      > which I luckily haven't found in the govtrack data: Donna M.
      > Christian-Christensen or Donna Marie Christian-Christensen. The story
      > appears to be that she briefly served as Rep. Donna Christian-Green
      > during the 105th congress. (see:
      > http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen or
      > http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=C000380 or
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen ). Curious why this
      > name change only impacted the 109th Congress' data though.
      >

      > In any case, Should these 2 ids be merged?
      >
      > Sessions 103-110:
      > govtrack_id: 400073
      > Name: Donna M. Christensen
      >
      > Session 109:
      > govtrack_id: 402518
      > Name: Donna Christian-Green
      >
      > govtrack_id (402518) returns an error:
      > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person_api.xpd?id=402518
      >
      > And only appears in some of the data for the 109th congress, namely:
      > 109/repstats/speeches.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
      > stat-z='-0.138280786448612' />
      > 109/repstats/verbosity.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
      > stat-z='-0.18032984113136' />
      > 109/repstats/topcontrib.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' TopContribution='' stat-z='' />
      >

      > Regards,
      > Ilan

    • Ilan Rabinovitch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
        Ah good to know. I didn't realize repstats was no longer being updated.
        I will update my processes accordingly. Is there a new equivalent to
        repstats/people.xml ?

        Thanks,
        Ilan

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
          No, just the two deleted files are not updated.

          Only the 111/repstats directory is an updated repstats directory. They
          are 'archival' after each two year session. The current people.xml is
          111/repstats/people.xml.

        • Ilan Rabinovitch
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
            Thank you for the clarification, and the updates.