inconsistent data around Rep. Donna Christian-Green

  • Ilan Rabinovitch
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2009
      Hello,

      I noticed today that the ids and data for Rep. Donna Christensen (aka
      Donna Christian-Green ?) appears to be inconsistent, and thought the
      list might be interested in knowing about it.

      Rep Christensen (US Virgin Islands Delegate) appears to have 2 govtrack
      ids depending on which sessions and data files are looked at. I'm
      guessing this is because some of the data around the 109th session has
      her listed as Donna Christian-Green where as other sessions appear to
      show Donna M. Christensenan. OpenCongress also suggests a 3rd name
      which I luckily haven't found in the govtrack data: Donna M.
      Christian-Christensen or Donna Marie Christian-Christensen. The story
      appears to be that she briefly served as Rep. Donna Christian-Green
      during the 105th congress. (see:
      http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen or
      http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=C000380 or
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen ). Curious why this
      name change only impacted the 109th Congress' data though.

      In any case, Should these 2 ids be merged?

      Sessions 103-110:
      govtrack_id: 400073
      Name: Donna M. Christensen

      Session 109:
      govtrack_id: 402518
      Name: Donna Christian-Green

      govtrack_id (402518) returns an error:
      http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person_api.xpd?id=402518

      And only appears in some of the data for the 109th congress, namely:
      109/repstats/speeches.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
      stat-z='-0.138280786448612' />
      109/repstats/verbosity.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
      stat-z='-0.18032984113136' />
      109/repstats/topcontrib.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
      Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' TopContribution='' stat-z='' />

      Regards,
      Ilan
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2009
        Egads, I hate when that happens.

        Ok, thanks for pointing it out. I will unify the two ids as soon as I
        get a chance.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
          Ah!

          I've already fixed this problem at some point in the past, fortunately.
          The ids appear in the repstats files because they were not updated
          whenever I fixed the problem because I discontinued writing those files.
          Hopefully no other files, and especially no primary data files, have the
          mistaken ID.

          My solution is to delete those repstats files. Those statistics are no
          longer supported.

          On 05/31/2009 06:23 PM, Ilan Rabinovitch wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I noticed today that the ids and data for Rep. Donna Christensen (aka
          > Donna Christian-Green ?) appears to be inconsistent, and thought the
          > list might be interested in knowing about it.
          >
          > Rep Christensen (US Virgin Islands Delegate) appears to have 2 govtrack
          > ids depending on which sessions and data files are looked at. I'm
          > guessing this is because some of the data around the 109th session has
          > her listed as Donna Christian-Green where as other sessions appear to
          > show Donna M. Christensenan. OpenCongress also suggests a 3rd name
          > which I luckily haven't found in the govtrack data: Donna M.
          > Christian-Christensen or Donna Marie Christian-Christensen. The story
          > appears to be that she briefly served as Rep. Donna Christian-Green
          > during the 105th congress. (see:
          > http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen or
          > http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=C000380 or
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Christensen ). Curious why this
          > name change only impacted the 109th Congress' data though.
          >

          > In any case, Should these 2 ids be merged?
          >
          > Sessions 103-110:
          > govtrack_id: 400073
          > Name: Donna M. Christensen
          >
          > Session 109:
          > govtrack_id: 402518
          > Name: Donna Christian-Green
          >
          > govtrack_id (402518) returns an error:
          > http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person_api.xpd?id=402518
          >
          > And only appears in some of the data for the 109th congress, namely:
          > 109/repstats/speeches.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
          > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
          > stat-z='-0.138280786448612' />
          > 109/repstats/verbosity.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
          > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' Speeches='0' WordsPerSpeech='0'
          > stat-z='-0.18032984113136' />
          > 109/repstats/topcontrib.xml:<representative id='402518' Name='Rep. Donna
          > Christian-Green [D, VI-0]' Current='1' TopContribution='' stat-z='' />
          >

          > Regards,
          > Ilan

        • Ilan Rabinovitch
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
            Ah good to know. I didn't realize repstats was no longer being updated.
            I will update my processes accordingly. Is there a new equivalent to
            repstats/people.xml ?

            Thanks,
            Ilan

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
              No, just the two deleted files are not updated.

              Only the 111/repstats directory is an updated repstats directory. They
              are 'archival' after each two year session. The current people.xml is
              111/repstats/people.xml.

            • Ilan Rabinovitch
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
                Thank you for the clarification, and the updates.