Re: [govtrack] [Fwd: [openhouseproject] FW: RELEASE: Senate to Expand Transparency of Senate Votes]

  • Peggy Garvin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 9:58 AM
      What sort of projects do folks have in mind to use the data once the feed of individual Senate roll call votes is posted?

      Peggy

      Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:25:23 -0400
      From: Jones, Tom (Commerce) <Tom_Jones@commerce. senate.gov>
      To: 'openhouseproject@ googlegroups. com' <openhouseproject@ googlegroups. com>

      FYI

      *Senate to Expand Transparency of Senate Votes*

      /DeMint thanks Rules Committee for quick response/

      *WASHINGTON, D.C.* – Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina),
      chairman of the Senate Steering Committee, thanked Senators Chuck
      Schumer (D-New York) and Bob Bennett (R-Utah), who lead the Senate Rules
      Committee, for quickly responding to a bipartisan effort to modernize
      the way the Senate publishes its roll call votes using the XML format.
      The Rules Committee has instructed the Secretary of the Senate to make
      this change.

      “I want to thank Senators Schumer and Bennett for helping us increase
      Senate transparency and accountability. Last week, a group of Senators
      on both sides of the aisle sent them a letter asking them to publish
      Senate votes in the XML format so the public can use computers to
      search, sort, and visualize voting records in new ways. I’m pleased we
      were able to quickly make this change, and I look forward to working
      with my colleagues to make more improvements in the future,” said
      Senator DeMint.

      “This simple but important change will help give Americans real
      transparency on their Senator’s voting record,” said Senator DeMint.

      *An XML feed of votes for the first session of the 111^th Congress can
      be found at this feed:
      **http://www.senate. gov/legislative/ LIS/roll_ call_lists/ vote_menu_ 111_1.xml* **

      * *

      *An XML feed of individual roll call votes will also be posted, such as
      Vote # 177 found here:
      **http://www.senate. gov/legislative/ LIS/roll_ call_votes/ vote1111/ vote_111_ 1_00177.xml* **

      On Friday, Senator DeMint and a group of bipartisan senators wrote
      <http://demint. senate.gov/ public/index. cfm?FuseAction= PressReleases. Detail&PressRele ase_id=fd1027a7- d1ab-0d7e- ecfb-5fd5015f7cc 1>

      to the Rules Committee and asked for Senate votes to be made available
      in XML format.

      ###

      http://demint. senate.gov/ public/index. cfm?FuseAction= PressReleases. Detail&PressRele ase_id=116192bd- 05d7-b5b0- ca14-917ca428f8f a&Month=5& Year=2009

      <http://demint. senate.gov/ public/index. cfm?FuseAction= PressReleases. Detail&PressRele ase_id=116192bd- 05d7-b5b0- ca14-917ca428f8f a&Month=5& Year=2009>

      --~--~------ ---~--~-- --~------ ------~-- -----~--~ ----~
      Groups "Open House Project" group.
      openhouseproject+ unsubscribe@ googlegroups. com
      For more options, visit this group at
      http://groups. google.com/ group/openhousep roject?hl= en
      -~---------- ~----~--- -~----~-- ----~---- ~------~- -~---

      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 3:10 PM
        For me, the big thing is reliability. I've already been scraping the
        data, but this will make sure that I can get it accurately.

      • coreygilmoredotcom@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6 5:49 PM
          Not to steal DeMint's thunder, but this was 100% the work of the Rules Committee and the Secretary of the Senate. Changes in policy like this don't happen in a week.

          From: Josh Tauberer
          Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 12:34:06 -0400
          To: <govtrack@yahoogroups.com>

          Hurrah.