[Fwd: [openhouseproject] FW: RELEASE: Senate to Expand Transparency of Senate Votes]

    Message 1 of 4 , May 5 9:34 AM
      Hurrah.

      Josh

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: [openhouseproject] FW: RELEASE: Senate to Expand Transparency
      of Senate Votes
      Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:25:23 -0400
      From: Jones, Tom (Commerce) <Tom_Jones@...>
      To: 'openhouseproject@...' <openhouseproject@...>

      FYI

      *Senate to Expand Transparency of Senate Votes*

      /DeMint thanks Rules Committee for quick response/

      *WASHINGTON, D.C.* – Today, U.S. Senator Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina),
      chairman of the Senate Steering Committee, thanked Senators Chuck
      Schumer (D-New York) and Bob Bennett (R-Utah), who lead the Senate Rules
      Committee, for quickly responding to a bipartisan effort to modernize
      the way the Senate publishes its roll call votes using the XML format.
      The Rules Committee has instructed the Secretary of the Senate to make
      this change.

      “I want to thank Senators Schumer and Bennett for helping us increase
      Senate transparency and accountability. Last week, a group of Senators
      on both sides of the aisle sent them a letter asking them to publish
      Senate votes in the XML format so the public can use computers to
      search, sort, and visualize voting records in new ways. I’m pleased we
      were able to quickly make this change, and I look forward to working
      with my colleagues to make more improvements in the future,” said
      Senator DeMint.

      “This simple but important change will help give Americans real
      transparency on their Senator’s voting record,” said Senator DeMint.

      *An XML feed of votes for the first session of the 111^th Congress can
      be found at this feed:
      **http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_111_1.xml***

      * *

      *An XML feed of individual roll call votes will also be posted, such as
      Vote # 177 found here:
      **http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1111/vote_111_1_00177.xml***

      On Friday, Senator DeMint and a group of bipartisan senators wrote
      <http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=fd1027a7-d1ab-0d7e-ecfb-5fd5015f7cc1>

      to the Rules Committee and asked for Senate votes to be made available
      in XML format.

      ###

      http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=116192bd-05d7-b5b0-ca14-917ca428f8fa&Month=5&Year=2009

      <http://demint.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=116192bd-05d7-b5b0-ca14-917ca428f8fa&Month=5&Year=2009>

    • Peggy Garvin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 9:58 AM
        What sort of projects do folks have in mind to use the data once the feed of individual Senate roll call votes is posted?

        Peggy

[...]

        --~--~------ ---~--~-- --~------ ------~-- -----~--~ ----~
        Groups "Open House Project" group.
        openhouseproject+ unsubscribe@ googlegroups. com
        For more options, visit this group at
        http://groups. google.com/ group/openhousep roject?hl= en
        -~---------- ~----~--- -~----~-- ----~---- ~------~- -~---

        Message 3 of 4 , May 5 3:10 PM
          For me, the big thing is reliability. I've already been scraping the
          data, but this will make sure that I can get it accurately.

        • coreygilmoredotcom@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6 5:49 PM
            Not to steal DeMint's thunder, but this was 100% the work of the Rules Committee and the Secretary of the Senate. Changes in policy like this don't happen in a week.

            From: Josh Tauberer
            Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 12:34:06 -0400
            To: <govtrack@yahoogroups.com>

            Hurrah.