Update on group letter writing to Congress

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2009
      Back in May I announced that I was starting a nifty experiment in having
      individuals write a group letter to Congress. I started up a letter on
      MixedInk.com to oppose HR 45, a gun control bill. (The choice of topic
      was one of opportunity- I knew there were enough visitors that had that
      opinion to support writing that letter.)

      The writing process ended last week with 450 participants, who created a
      letter that is actually pretty good. I was surprised, and impressed.
      Right now I'm running it as a petition to get signatures so that when I
      deliver the letter to Members of Congress later on, they know that real
      people back this bill. This is intended to be a mix between a personal
      letter and a petition. It's meant to aggregate voices but in a way that
      takes a certain amount of effort, in the hopes that Members respect what
      went into creating the letter (as opposed to with a petition).

      You can see the letter here:
      http://www.govtrack.us/special/hr45mixedink.xpd

      Because the process went so well, I'm starting up two more letters,
      supporting and opposing HR 1913, the hate crimes bill. Letter writing
      will go on for three weeks, followed by a few more days of rating, and
      then a petition sign-up period. More info here:

      http://www.govtrack.us/blog/2009/05/02/collaborative-letter-update/